Home made things for tree work

I was having a hard time locating straps to repair my broken CT foot ascenders, so decided to go another route;View attachment 68766View attachment 68767 used some stainless steel band/hose clamps, bent them around and spot welded, although you could just as easily rivet them together. It takes a screwdriver or dime.. whatever to put the clamp on but once its on I usually leave it on anyway when I'm climbing. One thing I noticed after using this the last 2 days is how much more comfortable it is than with the straps, gives my ankle way more support. Anyway I'll see how long this holds together, I get about 6 months out of a new CT

I wonder if a ski boot binding could be incorporated into that design to make it a bit easier to put on and take off?

It is a Pflugger(sp) Medalist that I took the part that fits into the rod off and cut a slot into it so it would hold the swivel snap, and presto it was done.

I stole this off a FB group....I couldn't stop laughing at how awesome it is.

611abf41649b5dbc84d71661dae77955.jpg

That is frikin awesome! and they come in different styles to. Thinkin maybe Zenith wire wheel off a Caddy...

The rim diameter is too big for any power. You would need a huge crank arm. GRCS is small and geared down.

A bicycle wheel has a lot bigger diameter than that rim. If the rim were geared down enough, it would likely work....I think.

My Tirfor is Five Ton , a used one and the cable has had an awfully hard life. Looked into replace , too expensive. Has a mind of it's own would never spool ... Would be nice if it did. Last owner was winching a Van that had sat awhile , wrapped cable around rear axle w hook back onto cable (stupids) ...pulled and pulled until the rear end broke off rusty Van. Put stresses on Cable that still affect it to thus day.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
There must be a cheaper way to replace cable for a Tirfor without going through one of their distributors. All I can learn about their particular cable is that it has a wire core, and not a fibre one, so it doesn't get compressed in the puller. Basically, all they seem to want to tell you is that it is special. All kinds of different types of cable are available from cable suppliers, they might be able to offer something similar at lesser expense. I wonder if crane cable might suffice, it is pretty stiff, if you can find the right diameter for the five ton puller. What does it use?

They recommend lubricating the wire rope, aside from how is better slides through the puller and not rusting, apparently it aids in keeping the wire from kinking up, as the strands can move about better against each other. A light lubricant that can penetrate. When you buy from Tirfor, their wire rope already has a light film on it, at least the stuff I purchased did.

Lots of websites showing various wire rope types and diameters, including wire core.

Dude makes full homemade bad ass saddle, doesn't tell anyone!!!!

I just figured that since he wasn't posting about it any more, Jaime was using it.

Back