Carabiner safe guard

RegC

TreeHouser
A five minute job

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/W45tIBZCODg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I like it...will try that where I attach my life line biner to the PAW on my saddle...it gets sideways sometimes...maybe this will end that. Thanks.

Simple, cheap & effective solution to a genuine problem. Good for you for sharing it.
I put bits of old big shot rubber either side of the grab to the same effect, but unlike your solution, it in not satisfactory on larger grabs. Will get some pics later

That is a good solution, Reg. I use a Trango like Pete on my lanyard and likewise, am able to use cut off pieces of my now obsolete Bigshot tubing. I use a hitch/pulley to adjust my flip line and can't remember just exactly what that has at the moment.

I used to use a bike inner tube cut into sections, on my HH I use a section of shrink wrap on one side to keep it straight.

Bike inner tubes are "third world duct tape". Fix a leaking pipe, this, that, and the other.

Sandwiching the rubber between two pieces of wood, would be easier for drilling than rubber alone, I'd think.

Good tip.

Like it Reg, Great idea and very cheap to make...I have a few of them straps around garage....

Great vid and idea. And I like the rubber/wood sandwich idea for drilling, Sean.

Reg, I've been using the Wichard twisted clevis on my lanyard grabs since day one.
I always have 2 steel core lanyards on my saddle , one with a Petzl Macro grab and the smaller opposite lanyard a Gibbs Ascender. Both my clevis's are different size to fit the larger and smaller grab/lanyards. The screw pins are Loctited in
With the twist in the clevis the grab is always at the perfect angle for easy access.

20160316_220705.jpg 20160316_220900.jpg

Reg, I've been using the Wichard twisted clevis on my lanyard grabs since day one.
I always have 2 steel core lanyards on my saddle , one with a Petzl Macro grab and the smaller opposite lanyard a Gibbs Ascender. Both my clevis's are different size to fit the larger and smaller grab/lanyards. The screw pins are Loctited in
With the twist in the clevis the grab is always at the perfect angle for easy access.

Nice, I wonder if you could drill those out for a slick pin.

Nice, I wonder if you could drill those out for a slick pin.
No need to . Look close at the edge of the clevis hole where the head of the threaded pin contacts. There's 4 recesses along that edge where the pin locks onto, I use a small crescent wrench to tighten it. No way is that pin coming out.
I only put LocTite on the threads because my OCD told me to :D

20160317_121026.jpg

Willard, when your cable breaks, you might be able to replace it with a piece of stiff/ thick string trimmer line, which will give the spring effect.

Pete,
No complaints other then the leg straps twist up stupid sometimes. Bridge is still holding out fine, it's got lots of good attachment points. Comfortable and light.
But I still liked my old Buckingham Traverse better though, that was one tough comfy saddle.
Nothing wrong with it still, if it wasn't over 10 years old I'd still be wearing it.
Reminds me maybe I'll dig it out again for old times sake...........

20160317_152621-1.jpg

Well for conifers I do mostly spruce removals and you can't always get a secure high tie in point with a climbing rope , let alone a strong enough isolated crotch for SRT, spruce limbs are way too thick and bushy.
I used to use my rope as a 2nd lanyard on spars but I haven't had a groundie for years, no one to keep my rope free from cut limbs at ground level.

Removing and pruning hardwoods I always have a climbing rope on ring and ring friction saver. I can be a real acrobat up there with 3 tie in points, limbing walking and work positions that you can't do with only one lanyard.

Gotcha.

My preference is to have a climbing line in place while cutting.

3 TIP can help a lot, at times.

I'd feel ClusterF**&ed with two lanyards. I've done it one in a while for some reason or other. I'm ready to take off the second, asap.

Different strokes.

Yup. More sleek using the climbing line on an SRT hybrid like the HH or Akimbo and it serves as both a lanyard and climb line.
One of my guys climbs with two lanyards and a climb line. Would drive me batty. I feel it slows him down some as well.
And yes, we do shat loads of conifers.

Stephen, depends what majority of conifer your set a climbing line in. My majority is spruce which had a thick canopy near impossible to isolate a TiP line in. We have some pine with heavy sparse limbs and strong crotches which are easy to isolate.
But these spruce are what I mainly deal with.
20151104_133335.jpg

Back