Paleo

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
'Suitable'. Well that is a word with plenty of wiggle room.

I don't eat pre-processed stuff at all.
If I want spaghetti sauce, I'll make it from scratch

What are you putting that sauce on, store-bought (processed) pasta?

Someone's making money on this quackery, you can count on it.
We knew in the 70s about too much meat, more greens, easy on the sugar, what's changed?
This whole water drinking stuff makes me laugh, drink something when you're thirsty, my dog knows how to do that.

Mick, since the 70's, the notion of low carbs has emerged. Less meat, more greens, little sugar, that hasn't changed at all afaik.

I agree re drinking water, bottled is silly for everyday use.

Jim, we know you work a lot, and hard. Do you do any non-work exercise? That might help you lose a couple. Get a dumbbell or two, a kettle bell would be fun too, you can workout in your barn or wherever, do pull-ups, pushups, maybe some air squats, burpees, some planks or other abs stuff. You might like it a lot after a week or so.

Yeah, thats the next step. I dont do any non work stuff. As chicken shit as it sounds, we are thinking about getting a machine to work out on. Its just laziness for me, but I have a hard time going back outside to walk down the road when I have been outside working all day.

Well, sometimes I do push ups with my wife laying on my back. I can only do ten like that though!

Never did much work in the weight room either when I was in high school. I couldn't do squats because it would dislocate my left shoulder.

I did used to do 1000 pounds on the hip sled. Never seemed like much of a point to keep going. I should have been doing less weight and more reps. Did not know much about things back then.

Is store bought pasta processed?

What workout machine are you thinking of getting? A machine can be cool no doubt, but that simple, cheap stuff I posted can be at least as good as a machine, imo.

Btw, do you do any walking? Walking is good stuff, especially if you go "far." One thing I dig doing is walking in the woods while using a dumbbell, kills 2 birds with one stone and make you feel strong like bull!

This is a good example of a simple food that may carry health risks you are not told about. Have you ever wondered about how many more people are allergic to peanuts? As a soft shelled legume, peanuts oily meat is exposed to and readily absorbs chemicals. Modern peanut growers typically do a three year rotation with corn and cotton that use copious amounts of some very bad things. One of which is Atrazine.

http://www.panna.org/resources/atrazine

Keep in mind that is just one chemical and doesn't have anything to do with what else has gone into that jar of peanut butter.

Damn bro, you are a muck racker!

Ok, are you saying the apparent epidemic of peanut allergies is due to man made chemicals in the peanuts rather than allergens intrinsic to a "completely natural, unadulterated peanut?"

Jim, if I could get just one exercise machine, I would strongly consider a versa climber, I've heard awesome stuff about them.

Jim, did you click on Dave's link, looks like good stuff.

Agreed, but herbicides are part to the mix, eh.

Yes, I've seen those peanut allergy studies, maybe the kids develop a tolerance to the herbicides, etc?!?

Agreed, but herbicides are part to the mix, eh.

Yes, I've seen those peanut allergy studies, maybe the kids develop a tolerance to the herbicides, etc?!?

Oh, yes. Herbicides are part of the mix. So is low commodity prices, high interest rates, a broken federal crop system, inflation, manipulated markets, lower availabiility of labor, transportation costs and monopolies, fewer local markets, outrageous machinery prices. It isnt just because we love herbicides.

I dont know, when you cut something completely out of your diet, or never try it in the first place, for years, why wouldn't you have a higher chance to be allergic to it?

If someone has legitimate peanut allergies, wouldn't they be allergic to organic peanuts as well?

.....Ok, are you saying the apparent epidemic of peanut allergies is due to man made chemicals in the peanuts rather than allergens intrinsic to a "completely natural, unadulterated peanut?"

I honestly have no idea, Cory. I do suspect that something has changed because kids have been eating peanuts for a long time and allergic reactions were few.

But my point was that eating healthy is not as easy as it used to be. Our foods have changed and the packaged choices are as wholesome and honest as our presidential candidates.

This is from their web site, Steve. " We source our peanuts from suitable growers around the world" 

Pretty hard to get everything from here. Farmers do it tough, droughts, then floods not to mention world prices & tariffs and the last ten years haven't been too good. Fresh produce is always available but can be pricey if the weather is crook. I try to buy only Aussie grown but some things you just can't get sometimes. Peanuts have had a bad run. http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-07-01/poor-peanuts/5562956

I buy Sanitarium products because it's a Seventh Day Adventist company, so I figure they should know a bit about fruit and vegetables and they do sell pretty good stuff.

I think that artificial ingredients and chemicals are assigned E- numbers in Europe. They just list E numbers instead of writing out the whole name.

Right.

I thought it was the same in the US, shows you how much I know.

Last year a journalist spent some times reading the ingredient lists of different stuff and got into a competition with herself about finding the product with the most e-numbers.

44 different ones in one package of Karen Volf cakes

Personally, I wouldn't eat those, but they'd probably be good to keep in your atomic fallout shelter.
I imagine they'll keep " fresh" for a few centuries.

Back