Kids .22

.17 HMR is a little on the loud side. 22 shorts are usually on the shelf most stores I've seen.

.22 is at all my gun shops. I just bought another brick the other day for $30 while picking up a 9. Plus 9 ammo and 22 mag ammo and more 7.62 39.

How about a older score master or the target master.

Jim, awesome of you to teach her to shoot. My mom is/used to be a great shot, went duck hunting with my dad. I grew up in the city and have only shot a real gun, bb gun not included, 30-40 times in my life. I found it empowering and daunting at the same time. I know a girl that is well versed in handling all the different types of guns. I would love to know what she knows. Heck, I just took the conceal carry class again just to brush up on my rights.

Next, make sure she knows how to ride a horse!! That is so fun. Also very empowering to have command of such a big and beautiful animal. (until it takes you on a wild ride, but even that is fun hehehe)

I started A J out with a decent BB gun, nothing too fancy, cheap to shoot, good way to teach safety and not have to worry about getting shot, etc. He turned 11 this year and I wanted to get him something bigger, I already have a 10/22 and he inherited his great grandpa's 410 single shot so I wanted something with a little more umph behind it if he wanted to go deer hunting. We went to a gun show and it was a joke! I found a beat up single shot Handi rifle in .223 with cheap scope that looked like it had rolled behind a truck seat for several years, I asked and they wanted $300 for it!
We'd already looked at Academy and they had a single shot Rossi in .243 for $150 with iron sights, what I wanted him to start out with anyway. While we were looking the new one over the clerk piped off that they had another version in the back, last one. He pulled out this, http://www.rossiusa.com/product-details.cfm?id=82 and it was $250 so he got that for his birthday.The 22 is great, the .243 isn't bad, but the 20ga kicks hard!

I can remember hunting with a single shot 12 gauge as a boy and I almost hated to pull the trigger. I feel his pain with the shotgun. I bought my wife a Rossi .38 revolver many years ago and it has been good little gun. You might want to read some reviews on the Trifecta, it looks like some folks have some misfire issues. That was a heck of a deal though, they usually sold for around $400.

Yeah, I saw the misfire issues, but that was in the early guns, later on they upgraded the hammer spring, and it's a quite simple design, so it's easy to fix it.

My niece has harvested a whitetail buck every fall since she was a teenager, now in her 40's. She shot a few bull moose too.
My sister used to beat the top R.C.M.P. shooters, shooting trap & skeet on their shooting ranges. My mom was a pretty good shot too.
Back home every farm kid had a rifle in a gun rack inside the back window of their pickup. Sure don't see that anymore, sad.
When I went up north to the bush logging at 16, I would hide my childhood .22 Cooey semi auto in the crack of the backseat of my 1966 Galaxy 500. One night I gave a couple of native guys a ride into town. 3 of them were in the back and I didn't realize my .22 was gone until a couple of days later. Never so that rifle again after that.

Yeah, I saw the misfire issues, but that was in the early guns, later on they upgraded the hammer spring, and it's a quite simple design, so it's easy to fix it.

Good deal! I couldn't imagine it being too complicated.
Never heard of a Cooey Willard. Pretty much every truck you pass here during hunting season has a rifle and a shotgun in the rack or on the seat.

In my opinion 7is a bit too young to start shooting. I would prefer 10-11 due to being a bit more mature. It is not too young to start talking about gun safety to your 7 year old. I would be interested in a thread on learning how to ride horses and horses in general.

Never heard of a Cooey Willard. Pretty much every truck you pass here during hunting season has a rifle and a shotgun in the rack or on the seat.
Ray, gun laws changed all that here.
Cooey was a old Canadian arms company that went out of business in 1979. Was bought out by Winchester, Lakefield then Savage

My .22 semi auto was a Cooey model 64, now called a Savage 64.
Great accurate fast little rifle
Here's a video of it 8 rounds under 2seconds.

http://youtu.be/LmMzg9zlvzE

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Savage_Model_64

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
In my opinion 7is a bit too young to start shooting. I would prefer 10-11 due to being a bit more mature. It is not too young to start talking about gun safety to your 7 year old. I would be interested in a thread on learning how to ride horses and horses in general.

Tell you the truth, so do I. Scares me to death to think that my kids are growing up this fast.

I was talking to a friend last night, we talked about all the shit we did as children, and are we going to let our children do the same. We talked about driving, motorcycles, shooting, stuff like that.

He was of the opinion that the sooner you start kids, the less likely they are to have trouble later on. He said that he started riding motorcycles at about 6 or 7, but watched college kids wreck motorcycles when they rode for the first time.

He thought that kids would be less likely to get into trouble with guns if they got started young.

Tell you the truth, so do I. Scares me to death to think that my kids are growing up this fast.

I was talking to a friend last night, we talked about all the shit we did as children, and are we going to let our children do the same. We talked about driving, motorcycles, shooting, stuff like that.

He was of the opinion that the sooner you start kids, the less likely they are to have trouble later on. He said that he started riding motorcycles at about 6 or 7, but watched college kids wreck motorcycles when they rode for the first time.

He thought that kids would be less likely to get into trouble with guns if they got started young.

Same with lots of things IMO, outright prohibition makes it more desirable but means they have no experience of how to do it safely.

Alcohol for instance, French families traditionally give children water with a splash of wine from a young age, and by the time they are 18 they know how to drink responsibly rather than going to a red cup party and getting smashed off their faces the first chance they get.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yes, Peter, we talked about that too.

He figured that the kids that never had a beer before they graduate high school often go wild once they get away from home.
I had a friend that had his tuition paid up but they still asked him to leave.

Outright prohibition, I like that phrase.
I used to get a dixie cup of beer when grandpa came to visit.

When I was looking up some facts about guns, I came across mention of a current underage "binge" drinking problem in France, with tougher laws being implemented. Something has changed, first exposing kids to alcohol at home doesn't seem to work much any longer.

Ray, gun laws changed all that here.
Cooey was a old Canadian arms company that went out of business in 1979. Was bought out by Winchester, Lakefield then Savage

My .22 semi auto was a Cooey model 64, now called a Savage 64.
Great accurate fast little rifle
Here's a video of it 8 rounds under 2seconds.

http://youtu.be/LmMzg9zlvzE

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Savage_Model_64
That's spittin' em out Willard. I don't know if any of mine are capable of that.

Alcohol for instance, French families traditionally give children water with a splash of wine from a young age, and by the time they are 18 they know how to drink responsibly rather than going to a red cup party and getting smashed off their faces the first chance they get.

A relative of my 18 month old nephew has been offering him sips of wine, can't say my side of the family is that impressed, its a matter of degrees after all but yeah some gradual introduction to alchohol definately is sensible

Back