Tree hardware removal

Bodean

Cali dreamer
Hi everybody. Wasn't sure where to post ask this... so I figured what's a new thread. I'm working on a bid to cut the cages off the trees....

Any ideas on easiest quickest steel cutting....I'm thinking an angle grinder.....the steel seems really thick.

fb6ff227ce2b9a95ccfd13bdc2ead40b.jpg

abcd6d9ea40e1ce8a4e39075c1485ab5.jpg

5dff6a8843fb078049b835473faa1f38.jpg

I've never used the circular saw version, but I've used the chop saw type cold/dry cut saws, which are super nice

http://www.mkmorse.com/products/index.aspx?product=74

http://www.amazon.com/Morse-CSM9NXT...7213872&sr=8-1&keywords=mk+morse+circular+saw

They have some different sizes on amazon, might be better for the tree to not create the heat and sparks.
They don't throw the sparks like abrasive blades. I think that using an angle grinder with a cutting blade would be pretty hazardous with pedestrians, you'd want to block off the sidewalk in case you blew up a wheel... and protect your face!

Edit to add: I've used the chop saw for metal fabrication, not cut metal out of a tree like that before, but this would be my best idea of not throwing metal and sparks everywhere and keeping heat off the tree.

Small generator with a cutoff wheel on a grinder. Or if you have a big volume compressor, use the air model. Do you intend to somehow stamp or mark these trees for future Arborists?

Edit:
I used the circular saw version of what Bigtwig is talking about last week to cut the hinges off my chip truck. Hot knife through butter, although it was Alum.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yeah, Bud and Altimus . I'm thinking generator and angle grinder....or a long extension cord from the Chinese hairdressers right there.

Hey Tom. Definitely putting $ for another guy for crowd control. Plan on shielding up with plywood lime a stump job. Our last job on 24th st showed me that it was huge having extra people to deal with metropolis.

Figure I will tape some kinda insulation layer in between the bark and spark....maybe even asbestos heat wrap.

Warning future arborists? Jeez I dunno....happy to leave a tag.

They need to get the dangerous impaling portions cut off per city citation.....then they said talk about the trees in general.....they are southern magnolias.......showing systemic 1/2" deadwood stress in the canopy.

A spray bottle with water will help cool the metal after the cut. I would go angle grinder as well.

These are removals I hope. Besides using plywood could you teepee a tarp to control sparks while cutting? Looks to be a good example of a municipality not following up with their maintenance.

The damn things are girdled no matter what. End the suffering and replant

I'm hoping to score the removal and replacements afterwards....Ultimately it's up to there pocket book...or how much they wanna pay.

You're right, it'll be a challenge. City hall is a treat....I charge by the hour plus parking, lunch and fuel to chase permits.....that usually pushes them to get their own person to chase the permit.

Whats your plan for the carspaces? will you "work around" any parked cars underneath? I'd be trying to get it done on a Sunday morning in the hope there maybe less pedestrians than other times, may not matter to you that much if its hourly rate tho...

On the second to last pic, could you just grind those rivits heads off instead of cutting thru steel flat strap?...where they over lap in pic...the 3 bands?

5b0e0757d204696f267de71d87c46aa6.jpg

e0c535ba12513194e6317a0a828d9873.jpg

6 trees total....in Chinatown.
Should be hectic.

1st pic, looks like a rivit already came loose, grind heads off other 2 and hope you can peal back bands.....just thinking out loud here

Yeah....you're on to something...deconstruct them....they're bulging to be realesed.

Parking....? Plywood and Murica! I think they're are some loading zones, my truck is commercial and it's pretty quiet for traffic considering it's in Chinatown SF.
I put my own no parking signs out sometimes 72 hours in adalvance, if I think people might respect them. They look legit.

could use grinding stone instead of cutting stone, it will go faster...bring cutting stone's just in case though. ;)

We use a battery powered angle grinder with 1mm thick cutting wheels. Of course wired electricity is ideal but we need versatility.

Keep a hand file handy. The angle grinder likes to leave people-slicing edges. 10 seconds with a hand file will usually round the edges enough that you can feel good with what you leave behind.

love
nick

Back