Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: hitch cords

TreeHouser

Default hitch cords

Good morning. I have a question about hitch cords. I've been climbing on 1/2 inch blue streak rope and using beeline and armour prus 8mm hitch cord with a hitch climber pulley. All of them are pretty well broke in but my hitch grabs really tight,sometimes I have to go up to get it to release. My friend had the same setup but no issues. He was also about 60 pounds lighter than me. I'm 6'2 and 210 pounds. I was wondering if a 10mm cord would be a better choice for me. Or maybe a different brand of 8mm. I'm trying to research it before spending the money and figured this is the best place to start. Oh and are the in between sizes like 9.3 worth trying? Thanks

What kind of hitch are you using? Have you tried adding/removing a wrap? Pitch a problem?
    Peter

TreeHouser

You should be able to control it with another wrap/different leg configuration. I used to weigh 265 and climbed on the 8mm beeline, down to 200ish now and still using the same hitch cord - just have had to fiddle with the hitch a bit.

TreeHouser

I'm using what I was taught as a x.t. hitch 4 wraps then three braids with the top leg of the hitch going under and then over and then under again. Pitch isn't a problem with the trees I've been climbing. I haven't tried fewer wraps or braids.

Yes I would try 10mm. More surface area less grabby. Treestuff do a sample pack, I got it recently... 8mm defo tightens more. Try it out.
    "....oh and I fingered a couple of honeys once in the church graveyard."

I've been having really good luck with Bee Line Code Blue. You'll probably like the 10mm cords.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20160302_171631086.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	122.5 KB 
ID:	68217
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward.”
    Vernon Law

Sam

MI-4209A

Acolyte of the short bar Sponsor Bermy's Avatar

The 8mm would be a bit small on half inch which is equivalent to 13mm.
    I think the recommendation is 2-3mm less in diameter than your climb line.
    Keep smiling, they will wonder what you're up to...

Originally Posted by woodworkingboy
    It's always better when people get the feeling that they will regret their decision, before they have to regret their decision.

As the smarter people have already indicated... 10 mil., sir... all day long.

Quote Originally Posted by Jed View Post
    As the smarter people have already indicated... 10 mil., sir... all day long.

+1
    Tom

TreeHouser Sponsor woodworkingboy's Avatar

A derail from the subject at hand, and probably old news, but I was experimenting with a set up and had my climb line anchor knotted to a carabiner attached to my pulley. The knot interfered with the hitch and there was no grab at all. I know the cautionary has been publicised, but just wanted to affirm the major risk without a spliced eye attachment in close proximity to the hitch, as opposed to something that could interfere.
    Bright days and dark days are both expressions of the great mystery. ~ Oglala Sioux