All round ground saw choice - 460 or 660?

When Stihl used to sponsor my chainsaw competition back in the day they supplied 046 and 460 Magnums. Great saws, the saws were stock but I found the 046 won more races then the 460 Mag with big filter and dual outlet muffler. I'd always try to put those 2 together in the event at the same time to be picked from . Fooled alot of competitors.

An old indian used to tell a good one,

A man walks into a bedroom to be with the hooker he just paid for. He takes off his pants and the hooker gives a little laugh.

"Who you gonna satisfy with that little thing?" The man thinks for a second and replies "me".

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
So I got the saw, put a bar on, noticed th chain wouldnt freely rotate... Took off the clutch, found that the roller bearing was missing, so $10 today, and the saw really rips. Its a beast, sounds real meaty. Yet to cut wood with it, but its gonna be good. It was oiling a hella lot but I think its ok now Ive tightened it up.

Over oiling is not a common complaint of Stihls so be glad if it seems that way.

Glad it's a runner!

Nice Benn.

I run a 441 with 20 back home and a Ported 660 with Dual port muffler. i have the 30" Sugihara on mine and it rips.

I just got a stihl 362, and it came with 18", 20", and 25" inch bars. and some chaps. And a mess of chains. $580. Runs like a champ! Granted I'm not using it for production tree work, just some general around the house work for wood turning, etc. But I'm impressed. It will fill great between my 201 and my old husky 3120.

Now at work we run two 460's, one with 20" and one with 28". We skip the 660 class and then have an 880 with 36" inch bar. That seems to be a good set-up. The 460's are beasts. plenty of power to bury a 28" inch bar in my experience.

I see you already got a saw but thought I would add my 2 cents. Im new to the site but have ran several 460's and love them. The power to weight ratio is great and for the most part are tough little saws. The 660's have decent power but to me they are boat anchors. If you're milling or tripping some mondo trees the 660's will do the job buy I prefer an early 066 over the newer 660 if I need a saw for those previously mentioned purposes. Or better yet an 084, 088 0r 880 for milling!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks for all the responses.... The saw is now running good, even though ive not cut wood yet! I boiled up the stuck clutch and then soaked it in WD40, now it is working as should and not killing the saw when the chainbreak is on. $10 in to the saw for the bearing and its like new. Its a ripper :) Just need a 28inch bar for it, and Ill be reet.

No bearing! I guess if you were putting a saw back together and found that part left over, you could just toss it over your shoulder no bother. I mean it's small.

Thanks for all the responses.... The saw is now running good, even though ive not cut wood yet! I boiled up the stuck clutch and then soaked it in WD40, now it is working as should and not killing the saw when the chainbreak is on. $10 in to the saw for the bearing and its like new. Its a ripper :) Just need a 28inch bar for it, and Ill be reet.

Hmm. If the chainbreak was killing the saw, I'll assume the chain was running on at idle? I've always found that to be a clutch spring problem.

Back