Hunting 2016

Hadnt seen fox around my place since 1996. Reason coyotes.

Got a surprise this week. Looks like a red fox to me. 8) Something behind it in the field still too.

Also watched these guys come in this morning.

deerfox4216 027.jpg deer2016apr3 039.jpg

Had about 300 pics last night this morning.

Here is one from earlier in week of 10 seen in pic. Just does and the yearlings. Heck I cant tell which one by thumbnail pics.

One showing the buck antler growth.
Watching them from beginning is cool. Have pics from when they were just dropped then started growing again. Moving along pretty good now.

deer10apr14-152016 017.jpg deerbuck4-1716 001.jpg

Pellet gun pest removal. Trevier sure it's getting better about picking them up too. Couldn't even get him to bait a fish hook before

Attachments

• 20160501_171816.jpg
    20160501_171816.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 40
We have a fox squirrel that will eat out of my 2 year Olds hand, he can almost pet it. None of the rest of us can even be in the yard with it. He named her Nancy

Ray or Willie or anyone that hunts Bear, I'm curious what you reckon to the approach in this video. Despite what the guy says about the Bear showing aggressive behavior, the animal seems tentative to me. He let the Bear get so close that I guess he probably had to shoot it. What if he had sooner put a bullet into the ground in front of the animal, don't you think the likelihood is that the animal would have hightailed it out of there? Wonder why he let it get so close? The Bear wasn't charging, was it merely being curious?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/8Mj9A7HXJa0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Don't really know the background but it seemed like he was after something and not wanting to blow his his stand. At some point you've got to shoot, your not going to slap it on the but and have it run off.

I assume he was wanting to take a larger Bear by bow. It just seemed odd to let it walk right up to him without trying to run it off with a bang.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm sure you're right Jay, the gun or that particular bear was not what the hunter wanted. Bears are strange critters and can be hard to read and that one obviously had no fear of the men. They are also quicker than you can imagine when they want to be. Not being in the guy's shoes it would be a tough call. My son and I were in a similar situation on the ground deer hunting.

If he didn't want to be in that situation, he could've chased/scared the bear off a bit more on the first go around or not let it get that close in the first place. It's not like it snuck up on them or anything.

I'm no hunter so it would be a hard call for me to say what could or should have happened. Maybe if the guy had a small air horn like used on a boat the bear could've been turned, I don't know. I can say, and I don't mean to piss off anybody, the local bow hunters here have turned me against bow hunters.

And that tree in the picture, was done completely wrong, trust me, I can tell from the pictures ;)

What if he had sooner put a bullet into the ground in front of the animal, don't you think the likelihood is that the animal would have hightailed it out of there?

Yes, or yelled aggressively earlier. As Willie said, maybe he didn't want to yell loud and screw his hunting prospects for the next little while. That looked like a heckuva beast though, too bad the guy 'had to' take it.

I'm no hunter, but I have put the run on more black bears then I can probably remember in my years of logging and backcountry adventuring. Never had a gun with me, never had a problem putting a run on a black bear. Lucky I guess.

Yes, or yelled aggressively earlier. As Willie said, maybe he didn't want to yell loud and screw his hunting prospects for the next little while. That looked like a heckuva beast though, too bad the guy 'had to' take it.

Btw, my post #117, I didn't see all the responses after Willie's answer, hence the repetitive answering post.

But while I have yall's attention in the hunting thread, lemme ask a question. I am completely 100% in favor of ethical, fair chase hunting. It is a major source of wildlife conservation and there is a ton of other reasons that it is a good thing. The guy in the vid shot a great point blank shot and then finished the bear very quickly so you probably aren't going to get a more humane kill than that (except for a few expert hunters/shooter I've watched on youtube who shoot em in the neck/spine area or the brain and drop every animal in its' tracks). But when I watch that truly magnificent creature balling up and doing the death dance after taking a bullet through the shoulders, it just makes me sad. It's upsetting. Honestly. Not trying to sound like a lunatic here though I realize that notion may come across lame or something. But here at the 'House we have folks who perhaps can give me some perspective.

Just wondering what other people feel about the killing.

My farmer next door neighbor is a famous Bear hunter in these parts. Though he has turned in his guns because of age, he was the go to man that they called when a Bear came into town. Said to have killed at least 100 Bears. I frequently ask him about Bears. He tells me that they are the most baka animal that exists. "Baka", means stupid.

Hmmm, sounds like despite the tremendous amount of experience he still had some more to learn, imo.

Perhaps, but I have noticed that with some of the hunting vids, even when spooked by noise or maybe scent, the same Bear will keep coming back to where food is put out as a trap with a hunter waiting. Come back one too many times sometimes. That doesn't seem very smart. They will act more suspicious though, seem to be thinking, "I shouldn't be here".

That could've been a "cleaner" kill in my opinion, but I also think the bear could've been run off. Maybe the cameras being there gave the hunter a bad testosterone buzz too. Easy for me to armchair the whole deal not being there and all.

I have no problem how it all went down. If you gotta make noise, you may as well put meat in the freezer.

Back