Hunting 2016

Good stuff. We only get one Buck here, no does.
Pulled my cam from one hunting spot cause i got a picture of a hunter for the first time. Also a mama bear and cub, can't shoot if there's a cub any way. Few pics from that location after a month soak, not too productive there this year. 20161130_172857.jpg 20161130_172932.jpg 20161130_172940.jpg 20161130_172946.jpg poison oak is so pretty, should take home some seeds...
20161201_162736.jpg

The hunter has some good fat on him, you shoulda harvested him.:evil:

Haha, never caught a hunter on my cam before, i give him props both for getting up on that Ridge and leaving my camera alone!

Lot of nice ones running around my 2 places this year. Few of the bigger. Many little 8's etc.

dland16.jpg
newbuckandyote 005.jpg lastreapermaybe 016.jpg dnew10a.jpg dlanda.jpg dreapergen.jpg dgen.jpg

I dig those 2 squaring off. Tell me about feeders? Not really used around here, i imagine bears would just destroy them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Wow, those are some fine bucks!
Willie, we go to tremendous lengths to keep the bears from smashing ours. My standard configuration is hanging them off a 30' wood pole with a few hundred nails with the heads cut off driven in backwards from waist to head high. I drill pilot holes and hold the nails with vise grips and tap on the vise grips to drive them so as not to dull the points. There will be hair and blood on the nails pretty regularly but I've never had one climb over them. Even with all that, the bears will usually be waiting when the feeder fires, eat most of the feed and keep the deer buggered up. Tripod type feeders won't last a night here.

I dig those 2 squaring off. Tell me about feeders? Not really used around here, i imagine bears would just destroy them.

Got to check your laws on using them. Some states consider it baiting.

You know how we use to figure out the deers patterns going to feeding and bedding areas. Well now we have added a feeding area so it is easier to pattern them coming in to feed.
Plus we have been using trace mineral blocks and have seen antler growth improved over the last 20+ years.

No bears around either of my areas. Heck only 1 wild boar has been spotted at the southern Ohio place.
Guess we are lucky with the pig deal so far.

If you were allowed to hunt them would you feel differently?

What do you mean Cory, can't hunt bear there?

I think it's acceptable to feed them, just can't shoot bear over a bait station here. Not since 94 anyway, no dogs for bear and cougar either. I'm going to hunt harder this year, haven't been able to for a few years.

To me, shooting animals over a bait station is not hunting, but simply killing animals.

They do that in Sweden with wild boar, simply because there are so many, they have turned into a huge problem.

So, scatter a few beets, set up a shooting platform with lights and blast away in the middle of the night.

Nothing wrong with that, but I wouldn't call it hunting, just like I wouldn't call the breeding, feeding, releasing and subsequently blasting to pieces of pheasants they do here hunting.

I have a Swedish boar in my freezer right now that a friend brought back from Sweden, it is a gift for my meat loving karate sensei.

My bad, I thought it was illegal in FL, but they just had their first bear hunt in 2015

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
If you were allowed to hunt them would you feel differently?
I don't care to hunt them Cory but I sure wish they'd let somebody do it. Just reduce the population by a few thousand and a little healthy fear of man is all they need. And by the way, they cancelled the 2016 hunt because of the "bears lives matter" protesters. No kidding.
What was the reasoning on banning the hounds Willie? I hear it's about the only practical way to hunt the cats and have a decent chance to take one.

Hunted bear in MT back in 83-84 by stalking, suppose to be spot and stalk. Never saw one hunting though. But seen plenty of evidence they were in area.

Then be driving and look down by a stream or side of a hill on roadside and there they would be. Oh well just glad I never seen one hunting I guess, might have chit myself. :lol:

I don't care to hunt them Cory but I sure wish they'd let somebody do it. Just reduce the population by a few thousand and a little healthy fear of man is all they need. And by the way, they cancelled the 2016 hunt because of the "bears lives matter" protesters. No kidding.
What was the reasoning on banning the hounds Willie? I hear it's about the only practical way to hunt the cats and have a decent chance to take one.
Went up for a vote and has been upheld twice since i think. Odds are very slim of getting a cougar without dogs.
Bear isn't overly difficult but both populations have exploded and had a real affect on overall deer populations. There were estimated over 6000 cougar in the state many years back. Do a little math with one eating a deer a week on average. Then factor in bear and now they're bringing in wolves!

LOL dad said they had a pig on one of the cams. Just wow here they come.

Seems we see one from time to time. So that is 2 now in 20+ years

We see it it will be a dead pig for the smoker.

Looking at deer? I can't kill does, had to be a buck with at least a forked horn on one side. They taste awfully good...

I bet so, I'd chow down!

Just ain't in me to kill them.

Go figure.

KW2nrmN.gif

Back