srt canopy tie in

I've always used the running bowline with the far end of my rope tied to the tail as a retrieval instead of the alpine butterfly with a long tail that reaches the ground so that a little more of the wear-and-tear on the rope stays isolated in the last few feet of each end... don't know if it really matters that much.
Wife watches me work, plays groundie, keeps the kids out of the drop zone, sends up lunch, etc etc. Found her at a marine biology camp when we were 9 y/o and won't let go of her!

Found mine at my friend's house, she thought I was a dumbass. A few years later some alcohol helped her decide she liked me ;)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I tried the running bowling and the alpine butterfly over the weekend. Everything went smooth. Seems easier to move around than a base tie once I made it to the canopy. Thanks for the help. Only problem I had was getting my throwbag hung up. I ended up tying another throwbag to the other end of the line and throwing it back through the crotch. Pulled and the bag popped right loose. I decided to just leave two throwbags tied up now! Lightbulb moment. And I met my wife at a blackpowder reenactment. I had just knapped My first arrowhead and was showing it off to her. She thought I was weird but it's been love ever since.

I'd be leery of letting go of both ends of the throwline! Maybe yours is long enough to double from the ground?

Ha! I thought about the throwing the two bags on and off again today. Think I got off pretty lucky. It was a bad idea with a positive outcome. Luckily it was an isolated target with no other trees around. I can picture myself looking up at two throwbags and my line stuck in the tree and thinking "ok Einstein now what". But I did have another idea. Sometimes when I throw I only have one angle at my target. So when I pull my rope up and over ,my hitch, especially with the hitchclimber pulley, ends up on my left which is uncomfortable for me since I'm right handed. With two throwbags I could tie the rope to the second one and pull it to a favorable position, meaning my right side. Make any sense? Different options?

Would you need a second throw bag to get the rope through the tree backwards? I always just tie the climbing hitch after I've set the line. If the climbing side of the rope is going to end up on my off-hand, I usually either tie to the back end of my throwline, or pull through all/enough of my climbing line to reverse it that way.

You don't need a second throw line to accomplish that. Learn a pile hitch, then u can tie your rope on midline, end line, or wherever u want and pull your rope over whatever side u desire

I looked up pile hitch and tried it. Works great. Thanks. Just tying the rope to the line makes the most sense. Think I'm just over complicating things.

Would you need a second throw bag to get the rope through the tree backwards? I always just tie the climbing hitch after I've set the line. If the climbing side of the rope is going to end up on my off-hand, I usually either tie to the back end of my throwline, or pull through all/enough of my climbing line to reverse it that way.

I didn't really understand the scenario.

Do you have a bridge ring that orients rope tail/ standing end out the bottom, rather than to the right or left?

How were you attaching the throwline previously?

If I follow you, you might be attaching the rope to the middle of the throw line, rather than an end???

Nope - SRT, pull the climbline through on one end of the throwline, tie a running bowline (yosemite or safety knot too), tie the opposite end of the climbline to the tail of the bowline, cinch it up onto the crotch/limb/TIP, climb up the rope... if you need to re-position while in the tree, it's very convenient since all you have to do is follow your rope around to retrieve the knot to wherever you are... no keeping up with a throwline while you're climbing, and if you have some concerns about a drop catching your line below you or you need to switch between limbs in a way that might tie a friction knot in the rope or with branches, you can pull the whole loop up and girth it onto your saddle.
Sorry about the crappy drawing skills, but maybe this makes more sense:
drawing.png

Attachments

• drawing.pdf
    15.2 KB · Views: 1
Back