Rope Knight, APTA

In one of the threads here, Nick Bonner with TreeStuff VERY adamantly advised folks to NOT do that. It is meant to shoot throw bags only as I understand it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Just to clarify I am not talking about doing this in a work environment. I mean like controlled firing against plywood to see if it would penetrate or show just how dangerous it could be.

probably wouldn't even clear the barrel without wadding of some kind, Isn't the diameter smaller than the APTA tube ?

To quote Butch: " This shit needs to stop".

Do you have a severe wish to end up as a non wanted member, Thomas.
Or are your social skills simply so bad, that you can't tell when to keep your mouth shut?

So back on topic. I hear a lot of "no don't ever" "You'll die" "You'll shoot your eye out" " "it's safe" " it will end life on earth as we know it". But has anybody done it?
Personally I am not going to try it because I don't have either APTA or RK. I am more interested in ending some debate once and for all with a controlled "scientific" test. Like bench mounting the APTA and pulling the valve from a bunker a la Mythbusters style.

I am having trouble understanding what it is you are trying to figure out. There is no danger in shooting something from the APTA . The danger is getting hit by something launched from the APTA. Think of rubber bullets compared to metal bullets. One will hurt like hell and the other will flat kill you.

why would Thomas be a non wanted member? That makes no sense. He has some different ideas but he is a tree guy through and through and a pleasure to talk to. If you don't like the product that he has worked amazingly hard at bringing to reality that is your problem. I have the utmost respect fro anyone that has gone through what Thomas has in making something and actually doing something to try and improve our lives as tree people. A lot of people just talk.. I would think he would be exactly the kind of person we want hanging around the tree house.

Ok but a 12oz rubber bullet fired at a person would do some damage maybe a broken rib or worse if it hit something vital. Sure the hardness of the projectile will determine penetration but I am more or less interested to see "if" it has been done. So far I am reading no it hasn't been done.

I am having trouble understanding what it is you are trying to figure out. There is no danger in shooting something from the APTA . The danger is getting hit by something launched from the APTA. Think of rubber bullets compared to metal bullets. One will hurt like hell and the other will flat kill you.

not quite a fair analogy, a rubber bullet weighs much much less than a lead bullet and doesn't travel as fast. 10 ounces of lead or 10 ounces of aluminum will hit the ground or target approximately the same give or take a bit accounting for shape and aerodynamics. I have used a rope knight extensively and while it didn't improve my marksmanship , it was much much easier to not get stuck. it did not hit the ground harder than a normal throw bag as it also tended to land flat rather than nose down which actually lessens the impact and velocity, i could never get my rope knight to fly like a missile, i was thinking if it had some fins it might fly better. and maybe if it were a bit heavier. that could make it more lethal but also take away its ability to effortlessly slide through tight crotches. as it is, I see no real problem shooting the rope knight with an APTA.

Im not going to say it is NOT more dangerous than a normal throw bag but i think saying the Thrownight is dangerous is a bit overblown. There is a friend of mine on Facebook who got nailed by a 14 ounce throw bag in the eye. he might lose his eyesight in that eye and he has already lost a month of work.

not quite a fair analogy, a rubber bullet weighs much much less than a lead bullet and doesn't travel as fast. 10 ounces of lead or 10 ounces of aluminum will hit the ground or target approximately the same give or take a bit accounting for shape and aerodynamics. I have used a rope knight extensively and while it didn't improve my marksmanship , it was much much easier to not get stuck. it did not hit the ground harder than a normal throw bag as it also tended to land flat rather than nose down which actually lessens the impact and velocity, i could never get my rope knight to fly like a missile, i was thinking if it had some fins it might fly better. and maybe if it were a bit heavier. that could make it more lethal but also take away its ability to effortlessly slide through tight crotches. as it is, I see no real problem shooting the rope knight with an APTA.

Im not going to say it is NOT more dangerous than a normal throw bag but i think saying the Thrownight is dangerous is a bit overblown. There is a friend of mine on Facebook who got nailed by a 14 ounce throw bag in the eye. he might lose his eyesight in that eye and he has already lost a month of work.

I'm with you, I would have Zero problem launching the rope Knight out of the APTA if it would work. Biggest problem is the diameter is smaller than the 1.6" I.D of the Apta tube. The only reason the soft throw bags work so well is the pressure seals the throw bag against the bore tube when fired. Might have to machine up a 1.6 " RK maybe with a couple of O ring grooves to seal it to the barrel.

For real though. If a throwbag messed him up like that the same weight in solid steel like the rope knight would certainly do much more damage. No? I'm not sure what you're trying to convey with the link?

I still think you guys are off your rockers if you think that being hit by the RopeKnight, shot from an APTA, would not be more dangerous than being hit by a soft bag weight. I use the APTA all the time, it is hugely powerful. The potential for someone misusing it is already great. I, personally, don't want its use made illegal because some yahoo just wanted to see what it could do.

For real though. If a throwbag messed him up like that the same weight in solid steel like the rope knight would certainly do much more damage. No? I'm not sure what you're trying to convey with the link?

I was just conveying that if the throw weight were solid steel it would be much smaller than what you may be imagining. the rope knight, after using it, I don't think it is that much more dangerous than a throw bag. I don't think it would say do more damage to a car window or a roof. And i have landed it on on a roof. the accident also occurred when he was trying to pull out a stuck bag and it gave way. that particular accident would not have occurred if he were using a throw knight as it would have just slid gently out of the crotch.

but yes fired directly out of an apt a like a bullet the rope knight could potentially penetrate in a way a throw bag would not. although I can't picture the rope knight actually traveling like than unless the apta were riffled maybe. i imagine the rope knight would hit you broadside or in rotation as thats the way it always flew for me. but why are you shooting anything at anyone?

Back