Any help on Japanese Maple...A.palmatum.

Bodean

Cali dreamer
Hi Every one, here's a picture of a central leader that was cut back by homeowner and the canker worked it's way down from the tip to past the collar...

Seems it's going from top down. The trees are on irrigation and in giant 50 gallon ceramic pots that I doubt drain well and he just stepped them up to these larger pots of 50 gl. I bet there was some girdling roots left untreated.

Anyway. Curious for anyone's help on an id.
d6279a20d3c0cc6e9d6df3cb35f89b56.jpg

dca9bd3339e24005421cc6858a9b653f.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The aspect of the canker is SE....throughout two of the three potted trees.

The center one is the worse with one on the left showing deadwood and the other flank un affected....

ID what, the fungus?

Can't really tell what's going on; why that section was cut off, etc.

No need to make guesses about root conditions. Dig and inspect!

I see no brackets, and can't judge the expansion of fungal spread, if any.

The aspect of the canker is SE....throughout two of the three potted trees...

Any time cankers form on multiple stems and separate plants facing the same direction, the first thing that comes to my mind is abiotic injury.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I only thought something coming down from the snipped tips...dirty tools pushing bad tissue from top to bottom....the root crowns all looked good.

That big piece of cut stem had that canker towards the SE. I was thinking abiotic also. Nothing was callusing to try and stop this dearh.

When they die I'll inspect roots....he's not super worried if they die he says they were cheap.

Back