The Official Critter Thread

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I originally meant the poor fish as those conditions would take it to insanity- its a widely accepted fact that solitary confinement is a form of torture.

I've read a fair amount about the orcas-in-captivity question and no doubt these intelligent, family oriented creatures are better off left in the wild. But a devils advocate point of view wonders perhaps if this orca is content to some degree in its situation- if it was as bad as we think it is, seems like she would have gone obviously insane by now. Her trainers must care immensely for her I would think maybe there is some bonding there for her. She apparently has 2 dolphins as companions and maybe that goes along way toward providing emotional sustenance. One can hope anyway.

Yea Cory one can hope- I saw the dolphins and thought they actually were in separate sections. The size of the enclosure demonstrates the cruelty of the owners , it obviously should be much larger.

If you put your commercial glasses on, you'll se that it really isn't all that much smaller than the Pacific, Atlantic, Indian, Southern, and Arctic oceans, where Orcas usually roam.

Hardly smaller, at all, really.

Its likely that's how the boardroom discussions went- I'm no business mastermind but it does also appear short sighted-likely to attract bad P.R. On the other hand the entire facility maybe run as a tax write off for the owners, being a wildlife "refuge".

Ha, you never know about financial angles and shortcuts involved.

The reviews online of the place are a mixture of 'we had a great time' with lots of 'this place sucks and is a ripoff' and lots of negative posts about the Orca's captivity.

The only reason I mentioned it was that I was invited to do some tree work at an animal refuge through a friend, the place was not open to the public. The owner also operated an automotive suspension manufacturing facility. Story goes the animal refuge was operated at least primarily as a tax reducing tool...

That aside the animals there were very well looked after from what I could see, it was essentially enclosed wilderness and they were doing a good job.

Some great photos and vid of Yellowstone wolves

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/6AynjXLI9PE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Jaguar underwater

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Xpm07KjNZAY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Back