The Official Critter Thread

“Momma” being held and “Ruby” on the counter. We have 3 more as well. I wake them up every evening to come out and play. Literature says to not wake a sleeping hamster but I do it gently a little at a time. “Boy” is my favorite, I think. He responds to his name and crawls onto my palm to come out of his enclosure.

Attachments

• IMG_7061.jpeg
    IMG_7061.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_7070.jpeg
    IMG_7070.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 4
@Trains He’s had a roo encounter or 2.

Tell the story of the Joey next to you when you were working on the ute!
Have a few Roo stories.

yeah, one was on a 47c day, wife was out in the vegy patch watering things to keep them from frying in the heat, and when she had finnished watering, and closing the gate, she happened to look up and see a 5ft roo laying down in the sweet corn patch in the shade, where the sprinkler was going, there not that silly after all, and she got quite a shock, as it was pretty close to her, and had been watching her go about her tending the sprinklers and watering for the last 10 min, so she sent one of the children in to get me.
"There is a kangaroo in the vegy patch, Mom said come and help", so out I go, and sure enough there he is, we have a few about the place, and they get used to us and the noise we make about the house, so initially he just lay there and didnt want to move, eventually I got close enough, within a few mts for him to finally get up. Eventually I shooed him away into the mulberry tree, and I took a bucket of water over for him to drink which he challenged me for, so I de assed the area and let him have it.

Just watching you
Kangaroovegpatch.jpg

I love this cool sprinkly thing.
kangaroo under sprinker.jpg

no I dont want to leave the cool sprinkly thing.
Kangarooshoo.jpg

The time Mike is referring to was when I was working on one of the utes, had a 10mm open end spanner in my hand doing up something and I hear footsteps come down the driveway, I look up thinking, thats Odd I didnt hear a car, who is visiting me, and there is a family of 6-7 ish kangaroos coming down and past me on both sides of the ute.
Seems they either didnt see me next to the ute, or just didnt care, as they went past with no fuss and settled over by the shed and started nibbling the grass a few car lengths away from me, I then look over to the other side of the ute again and there is a 5.5-6 footer buck just standing opposite looking at me and what I was doing.
All I had on me was a 10mm open end spanner. I watch him and say G,Day Mate whats up, and then look over to his family, and then down to what I was trying to do up, I may have said a few other quiet calm things to him just making conversation and not challenging him, and then he just turned and slowly wandered over to the group and nibbled the grass, I was then able to finish the job on the ute with them quite accepting of my presence about the place.
Its all good when they are docile, not so good when they get all wound up and want to challenge you.

Another time we had about 15 or so across the creek, and my girls came out to watch them and say Hi to them, 2 of the younger bucks near 5ft tall were play fighting as they do, and the Alpha roo decided he had had enough of their caper, so he takes 2 bounds over to them, stands upright and punches one in the face mid play fight, the 2 young ones stop, and go back to nibbling grass, was hilarious to watch, the girls thought it quite funny too.

We also had an injured Joey that we nursed back to health, but sadly she was taken by a dog when we were away one weekend.
She was so gentle and sweet with my girls when they fed her, they would hold the food, and she would carefully nibble around their fingers, she would put her head in your lap and fall asleap when we would go out and spend time with her and care for her, they do make great pets, the males, not so much.

Pic of when I first brought her home and introduced her to my girls, she was in really poor condition as her mom had been killed by a car up the road, and she was injured, and not able to get to water, it had been hot and i found her under a tree by the side of the road, she had crawled down to the road edge trying to get some moisture, as it had rained a little bit that morning, so i gave her a drink from my water bottle thinking I would have to put her down, but at least she would not be thirsty, but she perked up by the time I had returned with a wheel barrow to bring her home, and we then nursed her back to quite healthy.
GLpatkangaroo.jpg

Then there was the time I almost ran over this 4ft eastern brown half way thru her meal of another brown.
snake1.jpg

and a few more roos about the place.

another summer, and bucket of water.
kangaroo4.jpg

Mum and bubs
Kangaroojoeymulberry.jpg

Last edited:
The roos are pretty cool. I could do without the snakes though...

It is considered the world's second-most venomous land snake after the inland taipan (Oxyuranus microlepidotus), based on its LD50 value (subcutaneous) in mice.[a] The main effects of its venom are on the circulatory systemcoagulopathy, haemorrhage (bleeding), cardiovascular collapse, and cardiac arrest. One of the main components of the venom is the prothrombinase complex pseutarin-C, which breaks down prothrombin.

D^:

The roos are pretty cool. I could do without the snakes though...

D^:
yeah, you dont go about the place picking them up and giving them cuddles, thats for sure, have taken a few out from friends houses, and we had one in our vegy patch that just wanted to be left alone, the big ones are not so bad, they know your not worth biting, unless you annoy them, but the young smaller ones, are harder to see, and get really ropey and agressive, so they get the shovel treatment.

Had a 5footer by the side of the house near the laundry, I warned the wife not to go out that door, so she headed out the back door, and around to the side where the snake was.
by this stage I had gotten the shovel (not to kill, but just move it on), and it had its head under the mulch of the apple trees, and the rest of his body was across the ground and some still by the side of the house, so I gently tap his tail expecting him to head off towards the road and hedge, but nooooo, he whirls around and takes off along the side of the house straight towards the wife.
She sees it heading towards her and runs back around the side, and then to the back door, and as the door closes behind her, the snake goes past, he must have gone back towards the creek as by the time I got to where wife was, it was not to be seen.

Very funny now when we talk about it, not so much at the time.

Back