Storing saw chain

Anyone soak their new chains in an oil bath? I did that for a awhile, then hung them up to drip back into a canister to reclaim the oil. Read it recommended in a book. I'm sure that it can't hurt, but i stopped doing it.

Yep...they don't need to be treated like museum objects; they are a wear item that has a quite limited life, over all.

So long as they are not banging about into other steel and dulling the cutters, or sitting in water rusting, what's the big deal? Unless some evil boss like Stig sets up a trap for you, untwisting a saw chain is nothing.

I hear that a long-bar chain is capable of simply being flipped inside-out with a little force. Easy to screw with someone.

I keep them in the original boxes but ensure I write clearly what saw it is for on the box, then store tidily in the workshop.
I never take spare chains to work, plenty of spare saws though.

Anyone soak their new chains in an oil bath? I did that for a awhile, then hung them up to drip back into a canister to reclaim the oil. Read it recommended in a book. I'm sure that it can't hurt, but i stopped doing it.

I think you may have read "Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance" Jay.

It is recommended treatment for motorcycle chains.

I hear that a long-bar chain is capable of simply being flipped inside-out with a little force. Easy to screw with someone.

Yes, but möbiussing a chain makes it way more puzzling.
When we tried it on Martin our last apprentice, it didn't work, though.
He took one look at it and said: " You guys are f...... with me again"

Bummer.

I think you may have read "Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance" Jay.

It is recommended treatment for motorcycle chains.

Pre-soaking a chain. I'm sure that it was a book on chainsaw maintenance, but an old one. It may have dated back to the time when automatic oilers weren't so common.

I had some chains hanging by the grinder in outdoor humidity. They started to corrode over time. I oil-dipped and hung them.

" You guys are f...... with me again"

Bummer.

It's the AGAIN that got ya, sounds like he's a quick learner and you have a habit of F...... with apprentices.

Stephen, do they sell the chain stretchers and detanglers in the same isle as the wood stretchers? I'm always looking for a good wood stretcher, especially after I've cut it twice and its still too short!

Image.jpg This is what I use easily accommodates a 54" they are durable and last years. I think this one is over ten years old.

A steel ammo box is hard to beat for carrying spare chains. Waterproof, pretty much smash proof too. I keep files and screnches in one too.

Exactly what I was going to say. I put the chains in there cardboard boxes marked by bar length, we only run 28 inch and 16 inch. So it's not too difficult. Then we store those boxes inside the ammo can.

Yea but it sure is nice knowing where everything is. I drive myself nuts looking for something I know I have but can't find. I'd rather know I don't have it.

Back