Storing saw chain

I'd don't keep my saws in my trucks overnight, and I might only grab a saw or two or three depending, so keeping a spare chain in each vehicle has been just an extra thing to think about. If I can figure a way to mount one to each scabbard it might make things a bit easier. Silicone?

20171118_121304.jpg

Small tool box/ ammo can with files and bar tool. Harbor freight has $8 plastic ammo cans.

Grab and go.

Hot glue gun. Lid will pop off, potentially.

Don't try to keep new chains attached to the saws. Gluing it to the scabbard is a terrible idea. Use the boxes the chains come in and keep them with your tools or a dedicated spot in the tool box. After all, you need your scrench to put it on the saw and you need your file to touch it up before you use it. Please tell me you touch up the new chain with your file before using it. New chains are not sharp.

I make my own stihl chains, they come with boxes. They fit perfectly in an ammo can. The boxes fit just right in rows of two or three (cant remember). I use the chain, put back the empty box, and refill the box when low. Also have extra oull start cords and bar nuts.

Ammo can.. Good idea. I have extra pull cords...had not thought of bar nuts. Thanks.

I also have extra gas and oil caps....first time a flip cap does not seal you are toast.

Great ideas on the caps are bar nuts.

In my case I don`t have dedicated storage for saws in my vehicles, I work between the S10, F150 and the F350, and sometimes my GF`s car. I keep my saws between 3 places, mine, my GF`s and my dads. I am in no way any sort of production work, so I can take a few popup jobs, usually stump grinding, a neighbour will come over and want some stumps done but they are left high. I do have climb saws in the S10 and the F150. If I`m in Norfolk county I`ll call my GF to bring me a saw on a extra stump grind job, or in the north end of Brantford I`ll pop over to my Dad`s. Sometimes I`ll have my GF`s car and visiting my Dad and he`ll have brought home some branches for firewood, and I`ll slip on some coveralls and cut them up for him. I now make my own loops, but haven`t enough, yet, for all the vehicles. A case on the scabbard for a fresh chain was an idea to deal with this particular situation.

Sean, the containers have a hasp kinda snap on all four sides.

Peter. Without those chain storage bits you're thinking about putting on there, two saws can slide together with the bar of one going through the handle of the other. So they are muffler to muffler. Then you can carry two saws with one hand by grasping the chain breaks together.

I grind all my chains, then roll them up individually in newspaper. Works well in dry weather, but not worth a damn when they get wet.

Also, I wrap chains with different colors of duct tape to identify different chain lengths.

I was making chains today and snapped this pic. These boxes fit perfect. I usually can fit two chains in a box to so plenty of spares, enough for a year.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 60
Hahaha, both of you.

Harbor Freight is having a sale on them for $4, plastic. I have two full of wedges. Long wedges don't quite fit, though. Wedge shim plates should, when I get around to cutting them.

I keep my spares in the box they come in. I file my chains as needed so if I swap chains it's never going back on. This might be uncommon, but I can touch up a chain faster than anyone on my crew can swap one out.
Ditto that. We keep 2x spare chains per saw in original cardboard boxes, but that change out is only going to happen in the field if we break the chain or hit something unexpectedly major in a stump (rock or metal). Unfortunately, we've been having quite the issue with the Carlton chains we've been getting from the local dealer. They invariably are breaking at his rivets, so we're looking to get some bulk chain and start making our own, as soon as we can invest the $800 in bulk chain.

Sounds to me the dealer is smashing more that spin peening the rivets.
I use a drop of 3-1 oil on the spinner when making chains. It leaves a nice smooth finish.

I use the grease that comes with your purchase of a Husqvarna chainsaw. There's always a little tube of grease in the tool bag (for lubing the bar tip, maybe?) and I never have any use for it on the chainsaw so I use it for my chain spinner.

It depends a bit on model, but some has grease for clutch bearing. Usually comes with a grease gun. Can be used for bars as well.. If grease comes from inside a bearing and out, not much comes outside in.

But those that have bar oil in sufficient amount need not worry about that stuff.

Back