a little rigging action

kevin bingham

TreeHouser
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/7t2SX0QvPa8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
yeah not my strong suit. I don't have the patience for the editing. i think it impossible to make a good helmet cam video real. most suck. and to set it up with 3rd person cameras etc is just not practical during the work day unless your August.

I should binge watch some Lawrence Shultz and get some tips. I love watching him climb. What are some of your suggestions for that video. I was actually quite proud of it, because I condensed all this video down below a minute. which was my goal. But now I feel like the story is incomplete because people don't know what I am doing. Would you suggest some text? or a bit longer or maybe some still shots in there? I can't stand the head cam but I the last time I was messing around truing to mount the camera in the tree I dropped it 60 feet onto the sidewalk. The process is so time consuming so I probably just work on them longer. find the zen in it. Its amazing how sitting at he computer like that can burn up a lot of time. The few videos that I had professionally done were great. I think the time is due for another one but then it has to be staged it can't bbs spontaneous.

Kevin,

I'd suggest explaining how you set the RnW. Didn't you say that it is somehow backward from climbing, or something.

A lot of people have no idea about a Double Whip Tackle. I'd spell that out. If you can get some on-screen graphics, arrows, etc. It would help. Also, remember that most (I suspect 50%+) haven't done top-side friction without a natural crotch.

It would be worth just having a ground perspective, I think. It might be sufficient on its own. Pro work is always better. Since you're generating money through sales, good advertising, explaining the concept well, may be worth the money invested.

If its quality video, I could see retailers having a link to your video on their page.

thanks Sean for the feedback. Ill work on it. i have some more go pro footage that Ill start wading through and maybe add some text to this one so there is some explanation. Its also about time I get my man Oren back over here to film a real vid. all The vids he has made all have over 20,000 views. My top video has 4,000. which definitely makes him very much worth his price, which has gone up as he has gotten more professional. He started out as just a buddy with a camera, now he is the real deal with quite a name. cool to see his success.

I liked it Kevin. Not Shultz or Hunicke, but those guys put a lot of effort into their videos. I have a feeling they enjoy reviewing the film as much as we enjoy watching it for the first time. . .

Can someone briefly explain how making money on youtube works? It's been touched on before but I, for one, am a little fuzzy on it.

Say you make and post a vid and because it is interesting, etc, it starts to get "a decent amount" of views (not sure how many that is), what then? How does it go from being an interesting vid to dollar bills appearing in your pocket?

I tried monetizing my vids but I couldn't stand the commercials they put up front. So I unmonetized and they still put up ads. August gets a pretty descent check from youtube. I might get a little check with my numbers but ou really need some serious numbers for any real check.

All better than a stick in the eye.
I suspect that the more views, the higher the video comes up in the search results, resulting in more views, rinse and repeat.
More view, more Subscribes, more views, more money.

Making controversial videos is bound to get more views, making more money. I think we've seen that happen, elsewhere.

Kevin, do you have the videos linked to your website?

Maybe having a link in your video that goes to a video of a double whip tackle is an idea. Start with a basic RnW video, with a link to a more advanced video.

Seems that there are links inside the video that allow you to skip over stuff you don't want, and get right to the action.

Oh my website... another thing I need to do something about. There is a case of hiring a friend who got a real job and now has no time.... in hindsight go with a pro. I appreciate your feedback. I think the rig n wrench concept is the best thing to happen to my tree work since the rope wrench and I want to communicate that. So I'll be putting more time into it. This is just a start.
I have never seen links inside a video. That sounds like a good idea, I'll look into it.

Maybe it is a bit moralistic but I unmonetized my videos after there was an ad for BP that came up. I felt whatever money they might pay wasn't worth being a platform for those guys. Whatev. Maybe that's just silly think.

That BP thing is sorta a hard one. Does it mean stopping driving or running a chipper? All oil companies are dirty, presumably.

I think that this is on the right track. Maybe not the exact thing, but you can find it.

A video with all the concise action first (like the video you've already made, followed by an in-depth explanation can maybe do the best of both. Concise, and then elaborate.

Used the RnW today to good effect. I was able to cut and hold the rigging line in the tree, which made it easy for Darrell to pull the suspended limbs over to the chipper. It would have been a little harder for me to self rig the top though, so he took over at that point.

G0101016.JPG G0101017.JPG G0101018.JPG G0101019.JPG G0101061.JPG

Reg are you using a selfie stick?
I'm more than convinced that this thing is sweet. I'm waiting on the combo with an ISC mini block. Would've come in handy today.

Reg are you using a selfie stick?
I'm more than convinced that this thing is sweet. I'm waiting on the combo with an ISC mini block. Would've come in handy today.

Yeah, its not so easy keep still. sun completely in the wrong spot also....same as the handsaw. The RnW is especially effective when you're short of an extra body. And unlike some of the other aerial friction devices that have come to light more recently....the RnW has no friction when you're tightening or raising stuff.

Back