Wording on Quote: What if they don't do it all?

If a customer is asking you to itemize a work order, they are essentially asking you what would it cost to do each tree on an individual visit. I usually start there.

Magnolia- Prune for clearance: $450 dollars
Coast Live oak-Prune to remove deadwood: $1600
Dead Birch: Cut down and remove all debris: $300

Total cost of Job: 2350.00
* Price reduced to 1900 if all work is done at same time. This provides you a cost saving because all equipment and personnel are already on site.

This is typically how I deal with clients who want an itemized list. I look at each item as what would I charge to just do that one thing. Then, if they choose only one item I try and add it in when I am in the neighborhood.
Also when you show them the cost saving s of doing it all in one visit, it's like there getting a tree done for free.

What's up Royce? Good to see you here.

I'd typically write

Magnolia: Pruning for House Clearance, 10' vertical from roof and wall, debris processed __________ (as in chipped on site, left as it lays, drug into woods/ burn pile, disposed of off site). $450

CLO- spec the deadwood diameter--- 1' and larger. $1600

Dead birch. Dismantle birch. Stump cut to less than 4" above soil line. Dispose of all material offsite. $300

If all work is completed the same day, 10% discounted...

Simply put down 'disposal off site'. If you say chipped and hauled, sometimes the homeowner promised the chips to the neighbor after the deal and it might turn into a time suck dumping at the job site.

I think this is related to this thread- its happened to me twice in the last week and its likely that its just a random coincidence. But, if its something that you other guys have dealt with on a semi regular basis then I'm wondering if there could be way to prevent it.

last minute variations on significant jobs

Say for example you get an sms the day before a decent size job, the client wants a variation on the work. It essentially puts you in a position of either agreeing to the variation on their terms or not working that day- its a possible last minute cancellation unless you agree to whatever. I'd prefer not to think the worst of people and that they wouldn't pull these sorts of stunts but at the end of the day by leaving it so late they are wielding all the leverage. Its never been an issue up until now it seems, so I'm thinking a booking fee could help balance the leverage a bit. Its dicey though, likely not worth the lost work for most of us. I'd be interested to hear if anybody uses similar fees or reserves the right to charge for cancellations at very short notice.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yeah that stinks.

I feel like I have that happen once or twice a year. Sometimes it happens on the job site during the initial walk through.

In CA I could be a hard ass and tell them "we had a contract and you're bound to the terms of this contract" but I wouldn't even think about trying to pull that.

I try to salvage the job best I can. Hopefully it's only changing the scope of the job 5-10% and we can just roll with it. I've had some days where it's a huge drop and we either try to add another job on the day, or just take the hit.

If it was big enough, I could see telling them that we have it expectation for how much we're going to earn for the day and this isn't anywhere close to that. it's better for me to send the guys home no work or try to find a better job last minute.

love
nick

Get off the Texting conversation, and ask them to call you to discuss the changes and implications.

That gives you the opportunity to feel it out, and not give people the opportunity to think through again and again what to write to try to leverage the situation.

It easy to say (not text, say)that you're happy to accommodate the change in the scope of work, and naturally, there will be a change in price to reflect that.

During the bid process, I like the tell the customer that 'there is no free lunch'.

"prune off as much as you can without hurting the tree."

"That's zero pruning. There is no free lunch. Let's talk about the compromise between what you want, and what the tree wants, if you want to retain it, healthy, for the long term." Same idea on low impact and low price.

.. it can become an issue for my setup if clients want to be able to pick and choose the exact day and time we work, especially for the small jobs.

I can't even imagine being able to just show up and do the work whenever we wanted. All of our jobs are stringently scheduled and we have to show up on THAT day, not the day prior or after or oops I thought you meant tuesday NEXT week...

I try to salvage the job best I can. Hopefully it's only changing the scope of the job 5-10% and we can just roll with it. I've had some days where it's a huge drop and we either try to add another job on the day, or just take the hit.

Nothing else to do but rise to the challenge, I can handle this if it only happens twice or so a year- fingers crossed.

During the bid process, I like the tell the customer that 'there is no free lunch'.

I couldn't make that work, they'll hate me for saying that.

I can't even imagine being able to just show up and do the work whenever we wanted. All of our jobs are stringently scheduled and we have to show up on THAT day, not the day prior or after or oops I thought you meant tuesday NEXT week...

I can't do that either, what I meant more so was trying to schedule small pissy jobs together where all the clients want to nominate a day and specific time for their "appointment".

Oh true- we'll tell people flat out, "sorry we can't do it that day."

We give them many options and if they can't work within those options in the next 3-4 weeks, then we just book them a month out at the end of the line knowing that we'll be able to find another job in the next month close by to fill up the day. But most people don't want to wait a month, so they tend to find a way to make it work.

I wouldn't say No Free Lunch when they wanted to change things, exactly, BTW. I just mean it as, there are always trade-offs.

I had a repeat customer the other day. I bid for storm-damage management, she asked for whatever I recommended. Then, day of, she said "I know you are only supposed to cut so much off, like 1/3, but could you just cut it back as much as possible", with no suggestion of adjusting the bid. Third time customer, got some 'gravy' patio/ roof clearance pruning.

Maybe people hate me for saying it. Its possible.

Sean, I think its fine it be hated, by the way. I suppose what I meant to say was they would hate me and not invite me to come and work- the being hated part wouldn't bother me.

Cheers

Back