Wording on Quote: What if they don't do it all?

I frequently write "Remove small rear tree, $50.00 with other work, or $150.00 by itself," if I sense custy may just do the small item though there are several other large items in the estimate.
I like that Cory and plan on using it. I've been burned a couple of times on just that kind of thing.

The Crane crew two towns over tells them flat out it costs at least 350 for the 100 dollar stem. I find the truth helpful when they want the 100 stem all the way across territory. I tell them I won't make any money if I come and do the one ... Simple truth no fine print on sales sheet.

There was a thread not too long ago that talked about a "mobilization fee". It costs "x" to get the crew out, and the poster had it figured out for each truck so it varied by the size of the job. I'm not sure if being that specific would work in this case as cherry picking the jobs changes the equipment requirements, but the basic concept seems useful.

I think that was something Paul said I took it to heart and have used it twice since hearing it put that way! Easy for all to understand.
I have been bit as well one was a crane job I put no bid expires by on :( call me back and was ready to go, crane guys rate was up to reflect the 425+ gal fuel costs.
Good thread Nick nice to learn this stuff before being bit :)

Nick, btw, did you get your new BB chipper?

There was a thread not too long ago that talked about a "mobilization fee". It costs "x" to get the crew out, and the poster had it figured out for each truck so it varied by the size of the job. I'm not sure if being that specific would work in this case as cherry picking the jobs changes the equipment requirements, but the basic concept seems useful.
I think that was Evan

Yes, Evan.

I have a blank spot to fill in my bid's expiration date. Some jobs it two months. Some its two weeks, like dry weather dependent in September.

I have a Payment due upon completion unless specified:______________________. Businesses/ HOAs/ Trusts take more time, and I simply say to be submitted to Treasurer/ Acct/ Trust. Just so that its all clear, saving follow-up questions.

What about a line item titled "transport" or "travel time" or "dump fees" . You could knock off your travel cost from the most expensive item and still be winning along the line everywhere.

Item A 1200$
Item B 300$
Item C 100$
Transportation/Dump fees 300$

This would make it more clear that everytime you drive there, you need to charge 300$. So if they decide to breakdown their estimate in three diffrrent items, they will be paying 3*300$.

This is more or less what we do.

Each item is bid based of man hours "onsite".

Every bid has a " mobilization " line item based off mileage to and from the job from the shop. I will split it between neighbors if they agree to coordinate schedules, but it will be 60-60 not 50-50.

The mobilization line says "billed per visit"

We do have a $300 minimum charge also.

Also, regarding coordinating certain items for efficiency.

I will quote certain items as "add-on" such as wood hauls, but often such as add-on to deadwood a tree next to one I'm already in (excurrent) or add-on raise lower crown to a deadwood item.

I might even list an add-on, and then an "or if" if they don't want the first part. In any case my goal is that we have a fair clear contract that ensures on my end that I get what I intended (assuming I bid well).

They have the freedom to pick and choose, and it still covers cost if they want me out for the $50 birch because there was $250 in mobilization. My other numbers may have been lower than yours for example because I don't have to wash mobilization into them, but overall assuming we are good estimators with a similar cost and profit margin the bottom line should be similar.

I find this is the easiest way to make people understand that it cost something for us to go to their place, without it becoming too complicated for someone in the office.

I'm thinking of asking clients how flexible they would be in terms of scheduling work before pricing... it can become an issue for my setup if clients want to be able to pick and choose the exact day and time we work, especially for the small jobs. On the flipside, this could set me apart from the competition as being a bit too "switched on". Its also likely that the effects are noticeable now as its a tad quiet at the moment, juggling jobs with less options available

I try to suss that out during the bidding process. In so many words, I tell them I don't mind going to the extra trouble for scheduling with them, but its cheaper when they make it cheaper for me (rather than say I'm going to charge you more if you cost me more).

I specifically tell them that I have no problem with them being around, and the less they interfere with us while we are working, the less they endanger us. So often people see that I turn my saw off, like that's the only danger, and they want to run out and talk about something stupid like how low I can cut the stump (which is already spec'ed, on paper), tomorrow or later in the day. The fail to see that I may be balancing precariously with a potentially bad swing, or am focused, and believe it or not, them interrupting takes away from the focus of the guy up off the deck, possibly with long steel spikes strapped to my feet.

Most times, things go better without them around, unless there is a specific reason for them to be there.

I don't mind shaking branches for view work (lot of waterfront, here), at an hourly rate.

In so many words, I tell them I don't mind going to the extra trouble for scheduling with them, but its cheaper when they make it cheaper for me (rather than say I'm going to charge you more if you cost me more).

I like it, it's crafty. My challenge will be incorporating it into the discussion without appearing to be getting ahead of myself, should be able to manage.

There is a funny part of a presumption of action that some use.

If we come and do the work...

When we come and do the work...
there is less complication and expense for us, and you, if we have flexibility in what day we come. If you want to be home, its not a problem, at all. Also, will there be other service providers that we may have to work around, such as a lawn service.

I've had a gated golf course HO want to be able to have their landscaper come the next day to get any loose ends. Once, twice the HOs who wants to use the free electrical service drop for tree work to be able to have an electrician fix the power mast on the house end of the wires, rather than paying $3-400.

Since I've been out to the bid, and have planned the operation, I know what to expect on the day of service, whereas it might not be so well laid out if there is a separate salesman. This can help some people favor me, in that they already know I'm not a crack-head, and have a good understanding of what is important to them, aside from the work itself ( a commitment to safety, make sure not to scrap the new paint job at the gate, an important plant, etc).

Seems like something you can sell as part of your value, Chris, if I understand it correctly that you don't have a separate salesman.

Once, twice the HOs who wants to use the free electrical service drop for tree work to be able to have an electrician fix the power mast on the house end of the wires, rather than paying $3-400.
Sean, are you saying that the power company charges that much to drop and reconnect the service for repairs?

Yes. Olympia proper, and at least part of the surrounding county is Puget Sound Energy, a for-profit company.
I moved just over the county line, where we have a Public Utility District. They are reputed for good service. Never done a line drop with them.

I thought you had Duke there Joel. Florida Power/Duke has never charged a dime for service appointments and they are for-profit too. That's pretty outrageous but I guess the Public Service Commission out there allows it.

The one line drop for the electrician was such that so long as I didn't clip the roof, I didn't clip the electrician, so I guess he Must be in a safe enough area. :|:

I just told him, no, wait until I'm done on that side.

Clay co-op and Duke who the few times I've had them out was no charge. Need to give them 48hrs notice but zero issues.
Gainesville regional utilities not so sweet!

Since I've been out to the bid, and have planned the operation, I know what to expect on the day of service, whereas it might not be so well laid out if there is a separate salesman. This can help some people favor me, in that they already know I'm not a crack-head, and have a good understanding of what is important to them, aside from the work itself ( a commitment to safety, make sure not to scrap the new paint job at the gate, an important plant, etc).

Seems like something you can sell as part of your value, Chris, if I understand it correctly that you don't have a separate salesman.

Correct Sean, like most small setups there is no separate salesman doing my bids, it's definately important for most homeowners but not that uncommon around here either. One drawback could be that the dedicated salesman will have more time to spend at bids and go into further detail- not always though.

You guys have it pretty good with free line drops, Ive never won one job yet where specified "disconnect/reconnect at clients expense", its around $200.

Simple..Quote is based on completion of all items. Individual/partial selections subject to additional costs (or percentage).

Back