I Kinda HATE A Feller Buncher!

Altissimus

TreeHouser
... Yes a crazy high production rate but whatta mess. Current job is a firewood pile left by one. Stupid high , nothing going OTR so stupid long , tons of crotches included w stems plus many branches left ... Plus all the dirty broken material. Only woodpile I've ever crosscut that will need a burn pile this Spring. Stuff a Logger might get fired over goes on the pile. Feller Buncher , Meh !!!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Pile is so dangerous , approx 15 Cord ... After five or six tanks took out big slings , the Tirfor w Croby , Chokers , and a 200' 5/8 line (as I was screwed for an anchor point) to safely collapse the death pile. Three hour investment in my own safety as it's a bid job.

You guys should love feller bunchers. It ennables the operators to become so fat, that their mortality rates quickly allow for you hand-fallers to take over.

The guy I'm subbing for has his buncher in one of the units we're cutting right now. They get to cut all the flat ground that they can get to. They definitely get a lot done.

I'm hoping to get some good gopro footage of both the buncher and the yarder and shovel sides that are in there before we're done. I've got a friend with a drone who has volunteered to get some video too. The weather has been too foggy and rainy lately to fly. Should be some decent viewing if we ever get it done.

I don't see the problem with equipment. No different than buying a chipper or a mini loader.

I've seen really good, horribly bad, and absolutely ugly work from mechanized harvesters. In my view, like in so many things, it's the operator's skill and attention to the job that makes the difference, not the equipment itself.

Not to belittle the sad state of affairs, so far as the darn things putting far too many highly skilled hand fallers out of work. That's a shame, but technology rolls on, relentlessly. And to add one additional perspective, in general the work gets done with some fewer injuries.

Yah, I've seen guys tear up a lawn with a mini skid and blow wood chips down the street. Many levels of competence

Or had a lock pin break. It's more of the guy that doesn't notice and keeps chipping... Worked with a guy in California that did that several times

One of my crew perhaps? :lol:

Funny they don't notice. But I guess staring at what you are doing as opposed to what is spitting out of the machine is not all bad. Best to keep the eyes and mind on the business end of the beast.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
So the worm turns , same neighbor has same crew back doing same thing. I will be crosscutting same kind of pile , at least its Winter work. Last year I did mention to the landowner that it was a hell pile ... He told me I would have "input" on next pile. I figure my input is double my price last time as it was friends and family rate anyways. It would be nice if the limbs were cut.

Lol don't get me started on mechanical timber harvesting. Thats how our crew does it and I cant stand the thing. Not only does a hurricane leave a property looking in better shape but it's the biggest pos ever invented. Stays broke down more than it runs. Only positive is it takes the insurance MOD rate from $1.25 per $1.00 paid on payroll down to about $.04 per dollar.
I suppose thats the main reason everyone is going to mechanized logging.

I havent seen a logger under 250lbs in years lol

Denver

Back