Saw Storage - Decompression Button Question

BeaverMonkey

TreeHouser
Just acquired my first 'big' saw, a stihl 661 RCM :D. It's also the first saw I've ever owned that has the decompression button thingy on top that you press before trying to start it. My question is this: when you store the saw between startings (overnight or a couple of days) should you depress the button before storage, or leave it alone until right before pulling the cord?
Thanks,

Push it and you open up a air passage to the outside environment as I understand it. I try not to depress my decomp buttons till ready to start.

Looking at the dust on sitting items in my truck and storage, I dont want that inside my saws cylinder.

Whatever you do, DON'T leave it open when the saw just sits.
The little demon that lives inside the saw and makes it work, gets bored when the saw is not in use.
Letting the decomp be open creates a way for him to escape.
Once he is gone, your saw is just a dead piece of metal.
A Husqvarna, in other words.

Agreed, leave it closed.

You boys who can't tell the difference between pulling a large saw over with or without decomp are mighty powerful, is all I can say :).

To be honest, I never use mine on the 661 except if I'm hanging upside down in a tree, trying to start it.

I always drop start, it doesn't make much differerence then, whether you push it or not.
Not enough to make me bother, anyway.

Maybe when I get your age, I'll start doing it:D

The only one I use is the one on the 880.

To be honest, I never use mine on the 661 except if I'm hanging upside down in a tree, trying to start it.

I always drop start, it doesn't make much differerence then, whether you push it or not.
Not enough to make me bother, anyway.

Maybe when I get your age, I'll start doing it:D

The only one I use is the one on the 880.

:P

I use them. Why not? They're there anyways and it just takes a fraction of a second to push it. Then you don't have to line up to the compression to avoid a possible jarring. I run(ran) mostly only hopped up saws too so that's part of the equation as well.

I can tell you right now on a hopped up saw like my TW046 with domed piston and shaved cylinder it's a nice option to have, not just for the starting mechanism. There's no way someone would pull start that or my EHP660 and say there was no difference with the decomp button not pressed.

Push it and you open up a air passage to the outside environment as I understand it. I try not to depress my decomp buttons till ready to start.

Looking at the dust on sitting items in my truck and storage, I dont want that inside my saws cylinder.
This is what I always thought...
Whatever you do, DON'T leave it open when the saw just sits.
The little demon that lives inside the saw and makes it work, gets bored when the saw is not in use.
Letting the decomp be open creates a way for him to escape.
Once he is gone, your saw is just a dead piece of metal.
A Husqvarna, in other words.
But now I know the real reason!

What these guys said.

When I was a kid I used to rack myself in the nuts if the ole Mac 850 popped and I did not reset the decomp. If a saw has them, I use them. But I dont drop start, so maybe that makes a difference.
I had a Mac SP 81 close fast and
"walk" the rope .That was the last time I drop started that saw .Scared the chit outta me .

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks! That sounds like a reasonable consensus... And I wouldn't want to turn my new toy into a husqvarna! ;)

If I am on a fire and someone, anyone, sees me me drop start a saw, I get my saw card revoked. Pronto.

I just thought that maybe a drop start might give you more of a running start, and would not need the decomp as much.

Actually...I would say you are right in this Jim, when done properly. One additional nuance that must be included for success I would roughly equate to the board breaking trick/skill done in martial arts. If you focus on the board and just strike to it, it is surprisingly easy to leave a soft one inch pine board unbroken. If however you focus beyond the board and strike through it, a little old lady in the right state of mind can go right through.

Not that I'm saying anyone should ever drop start a saw.;)

I start saws standing with rear handle between legs. I can't throw start any saw, not even a tiny one.
No twist in back, no wight to speak of above hip I need to carry and full control of each move I make.

Would someone please tell me why drop starting is supposed to be dangerous?

I never quite got that.

Back