Fungi IDs, Geary/ Oregon White Oak Q. garryana, HELP!

SouthSoundTree-

TreeHouser
Looking at two different trees, I saw two different fruiting bodies.

One at the site of mower/ mechanical damage on exposed wood.

IMG_20160116_125813916[1].jpg

IMG_20160116_125817803[1].jpg

Very much a quick, not-thorough bit of internet research suggested turkey-tail, trametes sp., from what I remember of phone Googling.
this second fruiting body was on the bark, more so on the darker, damper,underside of a leaning main trunk. Seemed like the bark was loose under it, popping right off, about 3/4" thick, but not exposing cambium. I meant to compare to other areas without the fruiting body, but got side-tracked by dusk and rain.
IMG_20160116_125940946[1].jpg

IMG_20160116_125944365[1].jpg .

#2 looks like Stereum, typically a harmless bark-rotter. #1 may be Trametes, but the key is the woundwood encircling it--positive signs of CODIT.

The #1 Job in inspection--find the flare! Inspection should be a paid service, but 5 minutes with a shovel and hose can tell a lot. The implications of fungal association CANNOT BE ASSESSED UNTIL YOU FIND THE FLARE!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks, Guy.

I'm doing an initial inspection of over 1000 trees. Soooo many have been buried. These are low priority and low/ no target. I'm trying to be thorough. Most are Douglas-fir, 80-90%, with some other natives (oak, madrone, maple possibly), with other small ornamentals.

#2 leans toward an outdoor fireplace. Probably very low occupancy. Possibly a historic fireplace. Glad to hear its harmless.

#1 leans toward the woods. Not a concern, just trying to learn. I don't see trametes much, residentially. Few oaks closer to home.

Its good to have the answers to the questions, in advance.

I'll bump another thread when I can find it, looking for input you may have, Phaeolus schweinitzii. I've dealt with it before. Its what prompted this inspection. A 4-5' diameter doug-fir blew over in a wind storm, snapping just below the (most likely filled) soil line. There is a ton of chips on the ground (and around remaining trunks) at the site, from this clean-up, and possibly over time, cleaning, as the Grounds crew has a 9" chipper, and lots of storm debris.

Sean, it's good to explore this. From Diagnosis and Prognosis of Wood Decay in Urban Trees: “In the past there has been an increasing tendency to simplify complex concepts in tree risk assessment. The danger is that with any simplification, a certain degree of inaccuracy has to be taken into account. Thus, a person who applies a simplification, but does not understand the facts behind it, will probably err on the side of caution. the decision whether to retain or condemn a tree has far-reaching consequences for the urban environment. Trees have evolved over millions of years to become incredibly efficient and powerful at withdrawing carbon from the atmosphere, which is precisely the role that we need right now in cities or carbon is produced abundantly. Ultimately, we are all dependent on trees to mediate the suns energy, to cool our planet, and to maintain healthy ecosystems. Any arborist who undertakes tree risk assessment should have a profound knowledge of not only the procedures and diagnostic techniques, but first and foremost of host-fungus associations.”

Back