Sthil 150 v Husky 536

RegC

TreeHouser
These saws have been around for a while now, but my thoughts on how they compare for whatever thats worth.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/kAInGckbKeU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nice, Reg. Keep an eye on the spark screen (if you left yours in). Ours plugged up and we had issues with the saw until we got it cleared out. Otherwise it's been flawless. I agree, you can barely tell its on your saddle and it makes great finish cuts!

Like the video and agree entirely Reg. I got to use a 150 for a couple hours and was really impressed. So light, and for pruning it's plenty strong. I picked up a husky just to check the weight and yeah if I want to carry that I'll keep using a 200 or 201. The electric motor will make it a torque monster though. One thing about the torque is that they will make it through chaps.
I enjoyed your 201 video. I've launched more than one of them after they wouldn't perform. A bit easier for me as they were my bosses. I know that's a poor attitude but it's frustrating having to change how you do things because of an inferior product. I'll have a new 201TC pretty quick and I'll let you know if it's worth switching back

Reg, I can't really add much more then what you've already covered. I've demoed both of those saws and now own a a 536.
I really liked the 150 Stihl but what Stihl did right was develop that little 71PM3 chain to make it really perform. Focus on hand filing and that chain can't be beat what it's designed for.
The 536 on the other hand is flawless in stop & go aerial work.....no sputtering warm up, just squeeze the trigger and cut.
I'm now trying to convert the 536 over to that little Stihl 71 chain, save a little more weight plus add some more cutting time on a battery charge.

Reg, one point about the price tag: if you buy more than one electric-power item from Husqvarna, you don't have to pay for the battery and charger again. We've bought another 536 and the blower but only had to buy one extra battery to make usage convenient.

I would go with the german one. Especially if its lighter, mm the150 tune it and let'er eat.
My 201 does ok with a mm, I have it on the rich side it seems to tourqe through.
Treebilly, I have lunched a 261 out the tree when I was working for that tree service it was a hard starter after it got hot, last pick of the tree with crane then I was coming down, well it found its way first, bent the bar. Lol. It still ran though.

Anyway, nice vid Reg, as always.

So I was offered a week demo and we are taking the opportunity. I put it to a 6x8 cant today and I am impressed. Tomorrow we'll strip out a couple 120-130 footers with it.

Attachments

• tmp_9715-20160124_175252-1045522344.jpg
    tmp_9715-20160124_175252-1045522344.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 107
  • tmp_9715-20160124_175241-297305138.jpg
    tmp_9715-20160124_175241-297305138.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 110
  • tmp_9715-20160124_175232-47452766.jpg
    tmp_9715-20160124_175232-47452766.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 109
  • tmp_9715-20160124_1752231289605672.jpg
    tmp_9715-20160124_1752231289605672.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 108
Gonna be fun cutting trees without using hearing pro!

Seemingly should be cool. I doubt I would buy the set up at the price I could go buy an 441 for. I don't do a lot of noise sensitive areas. I could see a service in a city wanting them though.

My chainsaw carving buddy got a rear handle one on sponsorship...it outcuts the Stihl electric and is lighter.
I still would keep my 150 for climbing work though.

We stripped two white firs with it today at about 70-80 feet tall. Topped them both and chunked some of them with it. One battery. Not bad really. Not real big wood on the branches. But a lot of cuts. Nice and peppy. just squeeze. The little time out shut off tickled me. I can see how it's safer to be this way when you first start using it. Not like you really shut it off after every cut. Throttle is still there with out the pull cord.
Tomorrow it will go up some ponderosa and Dave takes a turn.
I totally see where an urban arborist should have one of these. Pricey but perfect for the quiet after hours or before hours pruning and such. Guy could probably touch up a lot of palms by flash light if need be. Nice you can talk too. There is noise, but lower noise.
I run out of bar quick up here. Had to have the 590 sent up pretty right up once the brush and top were out. Just no replacement for displacement and the appropriate bar in the woods.
Anyway. Good stuff, I like it. Nice balance with a 12" bar. Would like to see how nose heavy it would be with a 14. See how it drew or pushes chain.
Let you know more tomorrow.

Last summer on some of the hottest days with high humidity I was pulling into "select" customers yards at 5:30am and shutting it down for the day at noon.
The little 536 worked really good on these jobs so early in the morning not to ruffle feathers of any of the customers or their neighbors.
My pickup truck has a 115 electrical outlet in the dash and I was keeping the spare batteries charged up ok. By 8am I could pull out the fire breathing saws and put the battery power away.
Keep the chain pristine sharp and battery life goes so much farther. As I said earlier I'm working on converting the little Stihl 1/4" Picco 71 chain over to the 536 Husqvarna, should improve cut times a lot better.

I saw a battery back pack used with these saws, looks pretty impressive power wise but we hashed that out before with Magnus. I just don't remember if we were talking about the same battery pack and saw combo.

Ok final thoughts.
Weird hearing what sounds like a rechargeable drill 100 feet over your heads... :lol:
Nice not to have to pull the cord time and time again as one progresses up 120 plus feet of tree.
Little limbs on a fir just fall off with this thing.
Pruning is nice. I do like my 150 T bar better than what is on the 536. Can get in tighter places.
The 150 just feels better in my hand. Not that the 536 did not feel good.. Just the 150 felt better and either a tad more balanced or lighter. Might be the bar.
The quiet running is nice. I like it. Odd, but I like it.
Every climber that took the 536 up liked it.
What we don't like... the price. Of course I have to go back to gas 2 stroke before I ever get out of the tree. So the noise comes back.
Not enough saw for the pigs we do. Good for limbing, but the rest is back to displacement.
I could say the same for the 150 and I still use it. But it's great on gas and about the time I run out of bar, I am about out of fuel so it all works.
Would I pay almost $1000.00 for this set up?
Yes, if I worked in an urban environment more than in the hills and woods of the Sierra Nevada. Absolutely. It would pay for itself toot sweet. I would like to know more on how long the batteries last. at almost 200.00 per, they better get a couple years of use.
It's a good tool for the right environment.
Buying another 150 BTW

Nice review Stephen!

Dont think E-saw's are for me but it sounds like a good set up in city settings. And yes, WAY to much money for one with extra bat and charger :|:

I have 2 MS 150's as well, just cant go wrong with one, two are better, one in each hand..lol

Micks vid

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/b1yApceK3Bo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Back