Sthil 150 v Husky 536

Does stihl have a top handle battery saw? The one I tried in a demo was rear handled. It was hard to stall out but still did not compare to a gas saw. I'm intrigued as well. I do a lot of Saturday work at golf course homes and private allotments. The silence might improve business. Of course if they can't hear me, how will they know I'm there?

Good to know. Thanks for speaking up. You have any pics of your carvings ?

I'm trying to put up a few pics of carvings but photobucket site is frozen! I'll try again tomorrow...but my avatar is a few of my Tiki carvings.

Reg, Husqvarna Canada has a sale on at the moment, just got the flyer in the mail.
Free spare battery if you buy the tool, charger and battery. Here in Manitoba the T536XP total price with 8% PSTand 5% GST would be $1,005.00 CDN. That's what I paid last year and I never got a free spare battery.

20160426_161236-1.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
That's a good deal. Used it today on a couple tricky removals in the city. Very sensitive area. I had em topped out before breakfast. Done and gone before anyone could even raise an eyebrow. Like a ninja

My chainsaw carving buddy just got a husky battery saw, he's been using both of the Stihls before and never really liked them. He says the Husky has better power and is better balanced. I had a little go with it and its lighter and is better balanced than the Stihl.

Yes Stihl has a top handle batt saw
http://www.stihl.com/stihl-msa-160-t-arborist-saw.aspx[/QUOTE

Looks like Stihl did their homework, no mention of it in Canada yet but has been available in Europe for a while. .This looks like a serious contender to the Husky 536.
I gotta try one out, total weight with battery is only 6.82 lbs. The new lithium ion Pro battery is light and may be an improvement in power over the Husqvarna battery too. I think this Pro series battery just came on the market.

Got my 536 in today. Didn't even try the stock bar, chain and sprocket. I went directly to the Stihl mini .043 1/4" setup. I only ran it for about 5 minutes but here's what I think of it compared to the Stihl batt saws I've been using for about 2 years....1). It's definitely more comfortable to hold and better balanced
2) definitely higher chain speed. But I'm using an 8 tooth 1/4" sprocket. The Stihls I'm are running 7 tooth sprockets.
3). The few cuts I made definitely seemed faster than the Stihl saws.
My first impression is that it's a better machine compared to the Stihl battery saws. I'm Very exited to put in a few hours with it tomorrow!

Chainsaw 10 I figured you were running rear handle saws, seeing you never admitted they were. Never saw many carvers run top handles........
Those 2 Stihl's you own have been around for years that's the ones I call a consumer grade saw. But what makes it is definitely the 1/4" Picco chain

Now this Stihl top handle over in Europe with the new battery I'm interested in.
I heard it would be available in the spring of 2016 here in North America.
You'll like the 536 , Husqvarna doesn't label it a "XP" for nothing , definitely a pro grade saw.

I'm already liking it a lot. I'm sure I'll get more use out of it than the Stihls, but they're good saws too.

I'd be pretty sure the new stihl 160 top handle has the same internals( motor/ speed controller) as the 160 rear handle......so should be same power and chain speed. Same saw essentially , just different handle configuration and plastic case. .....but maybe I'm wrong and it's entirely different.
I just ordered one of the new ap300 batteries for my stihl saws today.

I'm going to have to wear out my 536 first before I get another saw. Got enough saws as it is.:)

Having said the above I'm seriously thinking of buying a 536 rear handle now while the sale is still on.
$520 and comes with a 14" b/c, I already have the charger and 2 batteries.
Perfect little saw for doing light ground work like limbing and taking out bushes etc. Even felling and bucking.
The less I use a noisy gas saw the better and will drum up more business as I work in a shift worker city.

Attachments

• 20160514_095214-1.jpg
    20160514_095214-1.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 28
I think they'd make a great chipper saw, pricey for such a simple task but useful.
Didn't you say you had an inverter to charge from your truck? Got a link?

Mick, my truck has it built in. Doesn't power the charger as well as a home outlet but does the job.

Attachments

• 20160514_110914.jpg
    20160514_110914.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 80
yeah I heard that too. I think you can buy a AC inverter to plug into your cigerette lighter from most automotive store.
I just tried my charger again in my truck plugin and it charges just fine even with the motor not running. Might help that my pickup has two batteries but I do idle the engine abit just to be safe to not drain the batteries too much.

Back