Knee Ascender

I have a Haas gelid or whatever it is called these days.

I made one years ago out of 9mm tenex. Whoopie style at the foot loop and spliced onto a Petzl.Croll I had lying around. Then used a doubled length of tree motion elastic girth hitched into the top hole in the Croll and a micro bina at the other end. If I did it again I would ditch the whoopie and locking Brummell a small eye and another accessory bina. Clip straight into a foot loop on the boots and you are off.

My first one worked a charm.

Sounds simple and strong. I was thinking about hollow braid too, I got some 3/8 Tenex and Tenex tec that I probably won’t use for hitches or anything else, one piece is 10 feet or so. I’d like my old HAAS better if it was built with 3/8 instead of 1/2”.
Here ya go Jonny. Just a vid I made while I was playing with the idea. I had three other climbers on my team I was bringing into SRT climbing. Why I wanted it adjustable during the teaching cycle. My old climber Mike, is doing the same with it on his new team. Just passing stuff along.

I’m definitely building this, thanks very much for posting that :)
I already have the same Croll and a CT chest that’s almost identical and everything else you used to put it together. I think it’d be perfect for short and tall folks.
Comes off the foot loop when it’s time to work or walk, so the excess tail hanging down shouldn’t be an issue either.
Pretty bomber!

I never stiffened it. That makes a difference on the up stroke. Why i liked the SAKA so much better than my own tinkering. But it served its purpose.
Right, that was the big difference between SAKA and SAKA Mini I think. More bungee cord going through the whole thing from by the foot to where the bungee is terminated at saddle or chest harness would give it more lift.
Ideally I don’t want it stiff. I wanna be able to stuff it in my ditty bag.

Back