Knee Ascender

I like my HAAS. I've heard the SAKA performs great as well. I went with the HAAS because I have met Micheal and he's somewhat local to me.

I just have a webbing foot and hand loop, advance by hand, just because I can't find suitable bungee that will last more than one climb locally.

I don't think you can go wrong with either one. I have been more than satisfied with my HAAS. It was one of the earlier ones and is still going strong.

Having both ascenders under your multisender is just so much better you will wonder why you waited so long.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1452651080.600999.jpg i made mine,it works,i want a SAKA though,seems so sleek and the idea of having a footloop is very appealing to me. Like stated previously they both perform excellent.

The HAAS with it's built in foot loop folds in half, making it stow easily and with no loose parts.

Attachments

• HAAS-3.jpg
    HAAS-3.jpg
    486.2 KB · Views: 93
At the point where I Kneed one. Haas or Saka ? Are there others...

I cut a handled petzl ascender hand grip off. Added a foot loop, and elastic cord. Not as slick as a HAAS, but free if you have an ascender and scrap cord around.

I like my SAKA, but have never used a HAAS. I like that i leave the foot loop on my boot and just rehook it when neaded, seems simpler to me. I echo the previous comment that once you combine the foot and knee, you'll wonder what took you so long.

you'll wonder what took you so long.[/QUOTE]

yup agree.. im rocking the hass and love it.
never had the pleasure of using the SAKA.

hell ya!!
works slowed way down right know,so I got a lot of free time.
(still working my day job)
Ill pm you my phone number.Im sure we can come up with something.

You will find that clipping the end of the bungee to your other foot and having a pulley at the carabiner, will make the classic rope walking knee ascender. It makes the most of the bungee because as one foot is coming up the other is going down.

You will find that clipping the end of the bungee to your other foot and having a pulley at the carabiner, will make the classic rope walking knee ascender. It makes the most of the bungee because as one foot is coming up the other is going down.

Yes, true. I tried that for a while. but this set-up works awesome for me, never misses a beat, less to disconnect. Just wish I could find a small pulley/carabiner and I think the bungee would last 3 times longer (Get about 2 months out of it ). probably have to make one.

They make little pulleys for sailing.

$10 for a little Harken at West Marine. Probably cheaper options.

Just used the haas for the first time yesterday. I had 2 oaks to climb. 80' straight up for maybe 2 or 3 branches. It works really well.

Hey, Page! You being the young, strong stud that you are, I'm wondering how long it took you to climb 80 feet straight up the rope? Also wondering which version of the HAAS you own? Is it the newest one, I think they call the Velox? Also, did you try to go really light with the gear you were hauling up with you, in order to improve speed and mobility? I still consider myself to be a new guy to all of this because of the infrequency with which I climb, and I generally work alone, so I tend to drag too much stuff along with me. So I'm weighted down too much, in addition to being really old and considerably out of shape, generally speaking. So I'm wondering what a really in shape, younger guy who's loaded down minimally could do with the setup.

Also, in case someone out there is unaware of the meaning of the word "HAAS", it is an acronym for the phrase "Haul Ass Ascent System".

Thanks in advance for any answers you choose to provide.

Tim

Tim, I was feeling lazy because I didn't climb those trees till the end of the day after a large oak removal. So instead of using the rope wrench and single line climbing I suspended the pinto pulley to hold my climber line so I still had 2:1 MA. Just used the foot ascended on the right and haas on the left. Even still it only took about 1 1/2 min. To climb 80' . It was about the same time on each tree. Also I still had plenty of energy when getting to the top.

Did I just read that correctly? 1&1/2 minutes, as in approximately 90 seconds? LOL, I really, really need to start doing roadwork when next I get a chance to do so.

Thanks so much for taking the time to answer, Page. Much appreciated, and it gives me a nice goal to shoot for.

Tim

Back