Knee Ascender

So I've never known anything except the Haas. What are some of the advantages of having both ascenders below your multi? Obviously there's less gear above your system, and less crap to thread through the tree on the way up. I've also noticed when you're working line is right up against the trunk you can really 'climb' the tree with just your toes hitting the bole and both hands free. . .

Anything else? I know a couple folks who are climbing with hand ascenders and foot loops. . .

Consistency. When both ascenders are below the multi, there is no softening of the line and the multi goes up like it is on the proverbial rail. A hand ascender and foot loop will create a soft loop in the rope with evey other stride. It is something you need to experience to fully appreciate.

HiI have my FrankenHAAS and now a SAKA. I kind lean more into the SAKA for efficiency. But both are killer on ascending. If I had a HAAS factory, I would probably have a hard time choosing.

Saka for me. I like being able to use the footloop or use it with the attachmentnon my spurs. Stores nicely on my saddle too and lets me literally run up the rope. Much better than my homemade attempt. Gone are the days of being tired when you reach your tie in... tree climbers have never had it so good.

CA45658C-2D90-4288-A425-DB49EC7B396A.jpeg
Made a knee ascender out of a Camp TurboFoot. I’ll try it out later, but I think it’ll be fine. I got a few more buckles and small Ds and 3/4” webbing I can share around if anyone else wants to make one, just get your own foot ascender. It’s very simple and adjustable for long or short legs and strides. The TurboFoot is 50$ at Sherrill right now and it’s a great foot ascender as well.

That buckle under the ascender body broke apart after a few minutes. Cheap zinc alloy thing that’s probably intended for a purse or a dog collar. I got some little 3/4” stainless Ds I’ll try next and if don’t work I’ll probably just sew it together and forget adjustability for now.

Trial by fire...sort out the weaknesses. Use throw line? Cinch to one side and prussic to other side of strap...would look like hell but should hold...and would be adjustable?

Yes, so I used a little screw link at the foot. I do got a small Trango screwgate that might be more appropriate.
I usually take off the knee ascender after I’m where the work is, and just use the foot ascender for shorter up and downs. That might change if this isn’t cumbersome though. I’ve only used an older HAAS and I think it’s built with .5” rope and it’s not comfy for limb or ground walking. It’s also a bulky bastard that don’t fit in my ditty bag and takes up space if stored on the saddle so it usually get gently flung from the canopy.

I've found now once I'm up to my work spot, I disconnect my knee ascender and clip it around my hip onto a rear tool loop...leave the front/top clip on my centre harness. It's there if I need it, more that just using my foot ascender for a short upward journey.

My SAKA comes off unless i need it again for another ascent, or further ascent. Clips right into my foot stirrup that just stays on. I sent one to Sean to pass around after he tries it.

So managed to make it adjustable with zero added hardware or sewing, it’s not easy to adjust but it does stay put. Also trying just stopper knotting the bungee in a spot that used to hold webbing in place. Tight fit so I don’t think it’s coming out. 4CEB85B9-DD53-4FA8-AC75-5F67C0A9F2B2.jpeg EE722195-5272-4B00-B43C-FF270D696184.jpeg

My little hardware store (a Coast to Coast) has the little buckle type adjusters and such in stock. Might want to look into it. But that's a good fix. The small wire gate biners that come with the SAKA are nice as well. When I made my Franken HAAS, I used screw link ovals as well. Ok for the short term. My franken HAAS was adjustable via a spliced hollow braid of 3/8ths Tenex. Like a whoopie splice. Open the loop for longer, close the loop for shorter. Stopper splice on the end of the tail.

Sounds simple and strong. I was thinking about hollow braid too, I got some 3/8 Tenex and Tenex tec that I probably won’t use for hitches or anything else, one piece is 10 feet or so. I’d like my old HAAS better if it was built with 3/8 instead of 1/2”.

I've found now once I'm up to my work spot, I disconnect my knee ascender and clip it around my hip onto a rear tool loop...leave the front/top clip on my centre harness. It's there if I need it, more that just using my foot ascender for a short upward journey.
It might’ve been someone else @Bermy , but was it you that had some kind of a semi permanent attachment point braided onto your boot tongue? Trying to recall how it was attached.

Sounds simple and strong. I was thinking about hollow braid too, I got some 3/8 Tenex and Tenex tec that I probably won’t use for hitches or anything else, one piece is 10 feet or so. I’d like my old HAAS better if it was built with 3/8 instead of 1/2”.
It worked ok. But the SAKA was better for me. I basically made it as a teaching aid so I could adjust it for a guy that was 6'7" or a guy 5'8"
I used a Petzl chest ascender since I did not want to pirate my Turbo or my Petzl foot ascender. And Camp did not have just the ascender available yet with out the rest of the foot stirrup. Sooooooo... it was a tad heavy for the application and had to utilize a larger diameter elastic cord. Trade offs...
I just gave that Franken HAAS to one of my old climbers that traded me his extra Akimbo. And another foot ascender. CMI I think. Heavy bugger. I think he wanted it for a second guy just getting the feel of SRT, and he already had the Hitch Hiker I gave him.

Pretty brilliant, thanks for posting that again. I’m not sure if that exact way would work well for my 195 lbs, it might just rip the eyelets and leather. They’d have to be some serious quality boots, but it does give me a similar idea, and I got just the pair of boots to try it on. :)

I agree with the bulk under your arch complaint but using 1/2 or 9/16 outer shell of a double braid was necessary to fit the splice buries and the elastic cord holding "rigid" tube that pushes the knee ascender up from the bottom. The cord in tube is the secret sauce that makes a Haas what it is, self contained and compact. That said, you can also just slip the whoopie/loopie(?) off your foot and stow it. I leave mine on till it bugs me. Lately I've been wimping out in the heat and using my Arbscender. Hard to imagine there's a step up on Haas/Pantin but its pretty sweet ...."elevator up... whirrrrr ok , next ...". Gets looks too. Look Mom, no sweat stains.

Back