What to do with old chipper?

flushcut

TreeHouser
I put my old BC1400 out to pasture and purchased a BC1500. So my question is what do I do with the old one? Do I sell it? Do I put some $$ into it and fix her up and run'er into the ground again? Do nothing and keep it as a backup? Open to all suggestions aside from Vermeer bashing please.

Do you plan on running another crew in the near future? Hold onto it.

If not...Is your bc1500 under warranty? If so I think I'd sell the bc1400 if I were in that position.

But the decision to sell depends on your business model.

Do you already have all the trucks and equipment you need? If so, then the 1400 is a good backup, and you know the history and/or quirks the machine you have, as opposed to buying another used machine.

OR could the money from selling the bc1400 get you into (or closer to) another truck, grapple truck, bucket, grinder, loader, etc.? That you would use more and could make you more money than the bc1400 that is only sitting.

Do whatever makes you more money in the long run. Personally I'd sell it and put that money back into the company.

For a small business situation, it is most likely best to sell the machine and invest that money into the business to help you make more money. Is the backup chipper going to make you more money than other investments may make you?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

All depends what it's worth. If, say, it's worth 1k that's one or two days tree work. Well worth keeping in case of breakdown
5 or 10k for sure, sell it.

A thousand dollar chipper has no place in a production tree company. As a backup or primary machine it won't be reliable enough to make money with.

Not sure if Mick intended the 1000 dollar figure to be literal or not.

Does not matter much. What else does your business need Rajan?

Whats your older chipper worth? Could you get enough out of it to make a difference? Would you be just giving it away to a dealer on trade?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I feel i can sell the old chipper for 12k as is. I think I will sell it no need hanging on to the past. Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Test the new one for a little while.

Tighten up stuff, as needed. Its a new machine, some stuff might come loose, even though it shouldn't.

Its a machine, designed and built by humans.

I've been without for a couple days, expecting it back tomorrow. I could have rented for the small amount that I need to chip to finish the job, but could wait.

Homeowner is out of town, and work is out of the way. He doesn't mind.

Pain in MY Ass.

Nah I had a backup otherwise it'd screw me over. I had to wait ten days I think for the new rad in my bandit250. I bought a bc1000 in the meantime and it was a wise move having two, Espescially that the bc1000 was so much smaller of a machine. Slower too but still capable. I used it for all trim jobs and all winter. Saving the wear and tear on my bandit. Also saving a ton of fuel.

Back