In The News...

One benifit of govt intervention has been the birth of Mississippi Delta blues.

The delta used to be owned and farmed by free black men, like 70 percent.
Politics and policy saw them lose their land and turn to share cropping, and the birth of Delta Blues.

I thought they had pubs Justin, but then again I am wrong quite a bit.

I bet security is tight this year.

Fondue, Jim.
Traditional Swiss fare and my absolute favourite eats.
A mix of cheeses according to whatever region in Schweiz you hail from, dissolved in white wine and thickened with a bit of starch, lots of black pepper and garlic and just before serving add a double shot of kirsch.
It is kept on the boiling point on an alcohol burner and pieces of bread or potatoes are dipped in it on long handled forks.

I don't drink alcohol at home anymore, but make an exception on new years eve.
We had a nice "methode Champanoise" Swiss sparkler, with the charming name of " Mauler":lol:
My wife's favourite and I must admit, quite fine for a non-Champagne.

Later we'll have the traditional danish new years eve cake, Kransekage, made from baked marcipan and a glass of 5 year old malmsey madeira to go with it.

Madeira is the most underrated wine in the world, money-wise IMO. Back when I was into wine it was one of my favourites, epsecially the 20 yera + old vintages, but a 5 year old is nice.

Simple fare, except for the wine, but we are just the two of us. A bit heavy, with all the cheese, but there is still a few hours left till we celebrate the turning of the year in bed, so I have time to recover:)

I'd be interested in hearing what the rest of y'all have, I pretty much know what people eat for x-mas and thanksgiving, but not new year.

Except Andreij, of course: Kaviar and blinis with champagne and vodka.
Those Russians know how to do it.

Nothing finer than a premium Russian vodka IMO.
The stuff they don't export, but drink for special occasions themselves.
P1030885.JPG P1030893.JPG P1030894.JPG

Great pics Stig.

Every year we have what we call pork noodles.
Its a boiled pork roast with spagetti noodles. The noodles are boiled with the roast.
Once the pork falls apart you spoon it all into a bowl and add green onions, chopped eggs, and soy sauce. I add a bit of Sriracha and chopped garlic. We have been eating this every year since I can remember.
My grandfather hated it, but would come up and eat it anyway. He liked the company.
A Jack ditch starts it all off!

Nothing special here (left over pizza from last night). I traveled and performed out so many years on NYE that I lost caring for the holiday...just spend the time at home.

All the subsidized corn from America that flooded the Mexican market after NAFTA has probably one of the worst ecological disasters ever. Numerous indigenous species of corn wiped out and extinct and countless families swept off the land or forced to turn to more profitable drug production.

The US pressures Japan to buy your rice, because a little bit on the side of your plate is the only way that most folks want to eat it. Now the rice farmers here can't make a decent living doing what they can do best. To hold the water, rice fields have a hard compacted nearly impervious clay base under the relatively thin topsoil, about all they are good for is for growing rice. Politics screws the little guy again.

Stig, that sure is a lot of melted cheese! Mind your cholesterol!

Control. A big govt bent on controlling everyones lives. Phoney claimes of land misuse. The loss of lifestyle and livelyhood.
Forced to subsist on govt handouts.

Nothing like that happening here, right?

Suppose the govt had another reason to want the people off those lands? Anything like that happening in Texas, Oregon, Nevada?

Nothing new under the sun.

I figured as much. The USFWS has pretty well screwed up one of our refuges here with their "management" practices. The horror stories there are endless and the bottom line is that they don't want the public, and especially sportsmen, snooping around on "their" land.

Back