In The News...

That apple hunter is fantastic. There should be a federal law that mandates removal of all red delicious trees, and replacement with an obscure species. They could call it the 'frig Red Delicious. The Last Name Is A Lie' bill.

I have no problem with any particular color, but Red Delicious apples are terrible. You /may/ get lucky and find one with crisp flesh, but they're usually mealy. You'll always get a pretty apple. Just like the plastic ones at the dollar store decoration aisle. You'll also always get a thick bitter skin, and a thin light sweetness virtually devoid of flavor.

For old school mass market apples, I like Macintosh. A newer variety I like is Autumn Glory. They can be hit/miss. A "bad" apple is merely ordinary, but a good one is amazing. I also like Pink Lady. I specifically avoid Honeycrisp. They really are a great apple, but they're difficult to grow, and have a huge amount of hype surrounding them. A monoculture is never good, and if everything's Honeycrisp, it could all go bad. Stayman is the king of apples, but usually only found locally. You might get them in a better grocery in the fall, but you usually have to hit a farm stand or orchard shop.

I don't watch TV. BUT...
I would be willing to bet Alec Baldwin got more air time for his shooting with probably a panel of legal experts. One that does not watch TV is left to wonder :/:

I don't watch TV. BUT...
I would be willing to bet Alec Baldwin got more air time for his shooting with probably a panel of legal experts. One that does not watch TV is left to wonder :/:
You are right. I happened to turn on the news today, and the experts were discussing how his case will proceed and all that. Nothing about new york that I saw.

That apple hunter is fantastic. There should be a federal law that mandates removal of all red delicious trees, and replacement with an obscure species. They could call it the 'frig Red Delicious. The Last Name Is A Lie' bill.

Go to warm climate apple country and have them off the tree within days of when they would be picked for the local market. (I was raised on an apple orchard.)

Like most fruit they get much of their sugar and much of their flavor in the last few days before they ideally would be picked if you were going to eat it off the tree. If you need them to do well with handling and storage you would be tempted to pick them earlier than that. Then....they are ripe in say September/October, people are eating them all year long and they are not rotten in the store......stored in gas etc. Eleven month old fruit that would rot in a couple of weeks at most if left sitting on the table - that can't taste too good.

The Gravenstiens are early, start dropping in July. Heavy producers. Big, crisp, juicy, sweet apples up to a pound a piece. One tree, at the Johnson Ranch in Healdsburg, produced over two tons of apples.

I spent a few years, as a kid, playing in the orchards between Sebastapol and Forestville. Called the Gravenstien Highway.

Once again, another issue that the MSM should cover, but is eerily quiet on (also being pushed by Pelosi to pay for the "Spending plan that won't cost anything")::

Also think retirement accounts, that have money in them you can't touch without stiff penalty if not yet retired.

Back