In The News...

I don't recognize the peace prize. The science and literature prizes are fine, but afaic, the peace prize doesn't exist.

What World do you live in?

Have you not noticed what happened to the Swedish academy that decides who gets the Nobel price in literature?

Now the price in literature is as much a joke as the Peace price, which lost everything when they awarded it to Kissinger.

I don't follow the politics of the non peace prizes. I don't pay much attention to them anyway. In any case, imo they have less weight than the peace prize which should be held to the highest standard. People can disagree on literature standards, or the importance of scientific discoveries. but in the end, it's just another award like the Emmys, or Grammys. Doesn't really matter. The peace prize *says* something, or it should anyway.

Actually, the physics prize really means something.
That one has never been killed by PC nonsense.
It means as much today as it did when Marie Curie got it.
It has IMO never been given to someone not deserving.

I don't recognize the peace prize. The science and literature prizes are fine, but afaic, the peace prize doesn't exist.
They gave one to Kissingerin 1973. He might be responsible for over a million deaths. Talk about someone who should be tried and hanged for war crimes..

and then Obama got the Nobel peace prize in 2009 before he had done much, but who afterward continued the war in Afganistan with great zeal.

Are you and Jim having a competition about who can be more cryptic, "Bob"?

Can I have one of those, please.

Might just be me being a dumb commie, but you and Jim quite often have me going WTF.

If you're terse enough, and cryptic enough, you can plausibly say it never happened, or it clearly isn't what you meant. That way you you can hold every view on every issue, and nobody can say you didn't say that.

Hard for us commies to understand, Jim.
We don't have it here.
We still think comrade Stalin was a hell of a guy, even if we should know better.

If you're terse enough, and cryptic enough, you can plausibly say it never happened, or it clearly isn't what you meant. That way you you can hold every view on every issue, and nobody can say you didn't say that.

You’ve been here long enough to know I’m not that smart... :lol:

That seems... Wrong? I looked for other articles, but they all basically say the same thing, though the referencing tends to be circular. I thought not being a citizen was a pretty solid reason for not hiring someone.

Back