In The News...

The biggest news at the moment - soon there will come the new year!
I congratulate the all a Happy New Year! I wish you all happiness, health, peace and kindness, as well as the fulfillment of all desires!
2d82f3477b4f.jpg

Best wished for 2016 from here, too.

2015 has been the best year for me for a long, long time.
Business has been good, too. My partner and I just decided to start 2016 by giving us both a raise in pay.

Glad you had a good year Stig.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...KcLa632HFuLCmRyxg&sig2=0XjJDjKltEjDeGacdLIY0Q

News to me anyway. Every year your food supply is less secure. Talking to my Father in law about farming was pretty interesting this year. He talked about when the UK decided they were too advanced to be farmers, so they cut subsidies and the farms almost vanished. Then they sorta ran out of food and stole the production of the commonwealth. Lot of guys went broke. That was after they were forced to buy Pommy cars instead of quality Japanese ones.

Subsidies are not a form of free markets, but with out them we still dont have a free market. We lose domestic production and rely on imports.

In case you might be curious, Congress has decided that you dont deserve to know where your meat comes from. Mexico, Canada and the WTO were against Country of Origin Labeling, and the last Omnibus spending bill stripped what funding was available for the program.

My suggestion? Move out of the city and start raising and canning your own food.

"Stole from the commonwealth?"
Farming in the UK went into decline between the wars because of cheap imports from the commonwealth, during the second war because of the blockade the UK had to re plough the land and all that.

Ask your wife what happened when New Zealand decided to cut subsidies and let only the strong survive.
When I worked down there ( 87 or 88, can't remember)
They were pretty happy about it.

I just bought a box with about 100 clementines from Spain for 100 kroner.
That is 16 cents a piece, grown, picked, sorted, boxed and shipped to Denmark. With a gross exporter, a shipper, a gross importer here and a retailer all having to make money off those, what is left to the farmer.?

Ridiculous!

Did the commonwealth force their products into UK Mick? Is it in the best interest of the UK to have domestic production?

Its a hell of a program Kevin. The farmers dont benefit and the consumers dont benefit. You take a dollar out of the pocket of the people so you can put .50 cents into the other.

I like the idea of free trade but I also like the idea of having a stable domestic supply of safe food. Why would Brazil stop clearing the rain forest now?

After the experience of WW11 some laws were passed to ensure food security.
What do you mean by forcing their products?

Same here.
We are ahead of you guys, so it is time for new years dinner.

Have a good time Mick.

I dont have a good understanding of the food question. But why did the cheap importsallowed to ruin the UK farming industry?

I just cant figure out why people demand cheap food but are against domestic production. When this all shakes out and the smaller producers are allowed to fail, we will be left with industrial mega farms and a reliance on imports. The rain forest will be put in greater peril and our national security will suffer.
Alternative crops and production methods are not in the best interest of the govt. They have way less control over those kinds of things. The american farmer is firmly controlled, but some of us are figuring out how to break out.

Back