In The News...

I have faith that we will overcome this, unless we are stupider than I think we already are as a species.

I think that sometimes scientists might be better served by using a crystal ball for making long-term predictions. As recently as 2014, unsustainable growth was a major panic. But now the science says that not enough people are being born and so the world will fall apart because it will have too many old folks.

We as humans have gained a lot of knowledge and understanding. It is still not enough it seems.

It's funny Jim because I see it the exact opposite of you. How big of an ego does man have to have to think that what we do has no significant or lasting effects.

You sound pretty certain when you state that sorting itself out is exactly what will happen. Hmmmm

Even if we buy into this hypothesis that the worlds population will stabilize at what did that article say 11bilkion? And then start to decline. We are still way over consuming our natural resources. The rate of consumption even currently is far from sustainable. Even if the population stopped expanding today, which it isn't. We will run out of resources at our current rates of overconsumption.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overconsumption

http://www.worldwatch.org/node/810

But I guess that's just my ego talking.

When I think of the energy consumed to heat/cool our homes, grow and transport our food, fuel our cars and planes, and manufacture everything needed to do this plus our toys and homes/furnishings.....lotta energy each of us consumes.

:lol: Justin, you write things as if we matter...We will exist as a species for a infinitesimal amount of time in the big picture...we reproduce too slowly to evolve at a minimal speed for survival in the event of any major change...to think we will have much of any lasting effect on the world is being overly self-important..enjoy the short little time you're here, we all should...

Sensitive. Jeeze.

I did not say that what we do does not matter or has no effect.

But for the love of Pete how are you going to get people to stop screwing?

Tell em it for the good of the planet?

People have unprotected sex with known AIDS patients.

Here is a humbling picture from the Carr fire that took out part of Redding CA. A fire tornado was caught on camera, this is some of the result. They estimate winds generated to 130 mph.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1533095299909.jpg
    FB_IMG_1533095299909.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 30
:lol: Justin, you write things as if we matter...We will exist as a species for a infinitesimal amount of time in the big picture...we reproduce too slowly to evolve at a minimal speed for survival in the event of any major change...to think we will have much of any lasting effect on the world is being overly self-important..enjoy the short little time you're here, we all should...

It's not me that I feel is so overwhelmingly self important. It's more my daughter and her children, etc, etc. Yes over the course of the history of the earth humans will be but a small infestation that will run its course. But is it so vain and egotistical to look at our effects on the Planet within that short window? Put in the context of what we are leaving behind for future generations I don't think so.

I lol at the 'donate' comments. Look around boys it's everywhere. Up here where I heard about that earth overshoot day was our actual mainstream news.

Everyone want to take shots and lol it up. No one wants to discuss overconsumption? It's just another, it's all good it'll take care of itself non issue I suppose? Just like all the rest. Steady the course it's all just smooth sailing.

Here is a humbling picture from the Carr fire that took out part of Redding CA. A fire tornado was caught on camera, this is some of the result. They estimate winds generated to 130 mph.

Wow Stephen. I've heard a few reports on firenados now, that pic does drive home the point.

But is it so vain and egotistical to look at our effects on the Planet within that short window? Put in the context of what we are leaving behind for future generations I don't think so.

To believe that the average person can make any lasting difference in this age of consumption driven by capitalism, I believe it is.

I tend to agree with your intentions, but not with the possibility of any major success, until mankind in general ceases competitiveness for profit & power and begins working toward the good of all, which I don't see happening in the foreseeable future.

This TH is a heckuva place. I'm digging and learning a lot about population questions, etc.

And those fires, damn. Yeah it is distressing about those critters caught in blazes. Remember that picture posted here of the cougar burned up in a tree?

To believe that the average person can make any lasting difference in this age of consumption driven by capitalism, I believe it is.

I tend to agree with your intentions, but not with the possibility of any major success, until mankind in general ceases competitiveness for profit & power and begins working toward the good of all, which I don't see happening in the foreseeable future.

To be clear and fair. It's not really my intentions, it's not like I'm out saving the world. But I would like our governments and scientists to do something about it. And I think the only way that's possible is by being aware of the issues. I just like discussing the stuff.

Back