In The News...

I think it was Darin, maybe, that told me how disheartening it was while on making a fire break. He watched a flaming mammal run across the dirt line and start a new fire across the break. Or maybe it was Deva. Cant remember.
Right now up here, our tree mortality is part of our fire supression problem. Trying to cut down dead matchsticks rotton to the core prior to different operations. Trees are just falling on thier own while guys are cuttimg ones near a back fire op or dozer op. Or around hand lines. Some just fall apart when you lay a saw to them. And they burn FAST! Once lit! Holy smokes. Some just explode. Dangerous work. Slowing fire work down because of them. Plus all the debris on the ground from trees just fallen dead. Go down a clear fire road. Then go back out cutting your way out while a fire is burning up behind you. These are far from tiny trees. 130-200 feet tall. Reach right out and touch you.
Our fire is closing in on 70,000 acreas now. Yosemite is still closed. Fire is creeping towards the park and Mariposa Grove (sequoias). Still choking on smoke.
Feel for you Justin. You just went through this last year as well, like we did. Sad to watch it burn, but knowing it needs to.

I remember the flaming animal story - that's about all I remember! I'm thinking Deva?

Hahaha!

Glad you are not in charge of policy!

I see that cheat grass was mentioned earlier.

High density short duration grazing of livestock greatly reduces cheat grass.

But we KNOW that animal protein causes global warming so......dang it.

What else does it do?

Grazing impact is undeniably high in some areas, at least.

I ate two burgers tonight.

Manure happens.

It was 3 billion when I was a kid - now it's over 9 billion. Following that math, in another 50 years... over 25 billion? Really? That's all good? In a century, 50 - 75 billion?

NO.

It astonishes me that there aren't more Zero Population Growth type initiatives being pressed hard.

Feel for you guys too Stephen, and Gerry and all the others too. Wildfires are the new reality of summer it seems. On top of it all we've still got local psychos lighting shit up too. Apparently there's a arsonist who's responsible for something like 27 plus fires they know of over a handful of the last years here up and and down the valley. They wouldn't release what it is but there's some kind of MO that links all these certain fires and now a special task force for the rcmp is investigating. So on top of all of mother natures handiwork we get to deal with some sicko too. Whoever it is better hope the public doesn't find them before the law.

That should be the law worldwide. And childless couples get an annual monetary bonus.

It?s crazy that even Hollywood has picked up on overpopulation. Seems like 1 in 3 movies are being made about it.

Thanos will fix everything!

Back