In The News...

the kids were sold the Higher Education idea/scam

Again the parent's (adults) fault.

You can pass a good time with the family while watching the boob tube, Jim. Some of my fondest memories are having the 8:00 snack while watching the shitty B & W tv with my family. "Sunday Night At The Movies" was always a favorite. The Carol Burnett Show, The Smothers Brothers, Pallidin, Rawhide, I Dream Of Jeannie, a millon old classics.

Except then it was cutting edge!

I wonder if some of it was that the kids were sold the Higher Education idea/scam and are pretty disillusioned now.

Surly some kids dont get the feeling of optimism from their parents.

Gotta chase that carrot what ever the cost. Even if we go backwards in the long run.

I still feel like my best years are ahead of me, and I am hopeful for my kids future.

We eat all our meals together, canceled the TV and dont to the social media thing.

In self defense mostly!

I think you are in the general area Paul. There is something going on.
this is social media Jim. you spend more time here than anybody!

We sometimes watch a show on the Fire TV.

Well, we let the kids pick something on Saturdays anyway.

We did not throw the TV away! Just canceled the satellite. Got to where we could not afford it.

Sometimes when it rains we watch John Wayne movies.

We were going to try one of those too. For the locals and even one Canadian channel.

A guy on the local translator committee said we were too far out of town to get a good signal.

How do you watch your game of thrones show on an antenna?

That was the wacky part - so many channels that were never used.

I get all the major networks crystal clear for free.

How do you watch your game of thrones show on an antenna?

Just read the book instead.

I think the one reason for the many school shootings is a copycat syndrome, that is fed by the media coverage.

Every mentally disturbed, dissatisfied kid picks that up and thinks it might be a good way to end it all.

Like the " Let us drive a truck into a bunch of infidels while praising Allah" trend.

We had one muslim come up with that idea.

It got HUGE media coverage, now we have lots of copycats.

Same with the latest trend of just getting a knife and seeing how many infidel pedestrians you can cut down while yelling Allahu Akhbar.

What we need is simply more oroginal thinking among the suicidal types and less media hype.

Wait, you think the media fans flames? Say it isn't so. They are honest reporters.

Copy cat behaviour is a bad part of the human condition.

No, but not going completely overboard every time a wanna be Jihad warrier kills somebody outside a supermarket in Paris is.

Just read the book instead.

I think the one reason for the many school shootings is a copycat syndrome, that is fed by the media coverage.

Every mentally disturbed, dissatisfied kid picks that up and thinks it might be a good way to end it all.

Like the " Let us drive a truck into a bunch of infidels while praising Allah" trend.

We had one muslim come up with that idea.

It got HUGE media coverage, now we have lots of copycats.

Same with the latest trend of just getting a knife and seeing how many infidel pedestrians you can cut down while yelling Allahu Akhbar.

What we need is simply more oroginal thinking among the suicidal types and less media hype.

This is exactly it in my opinion. It works perfectly for the human motivations and condition of today.

Even a zero wants to be a hero. And reported wrong infamy looks about like fame. Why get up in the morning day after day working hard to build up a skill like Stig or in freezing weather like Jim to keep famkly and farm going - you can go to instant fame by topping the latest feat that people are aghast at and chattering about so much.

I personally think it's a soscialtal problem not a gun problem, does it really take more effort to steal a car and run into a crowded area of the school. The problem is not the weapon it's the condition of the individual WANTING to kill people.

Our country ( says the imigrant) needs a radical change in a direction. We need to focus less on money and greed and more on soscialtal well-being. Never going to happen with our current situation though

I was in an arial lift class listing to the instructor who was a young hispanic guy. (A bit of an oddity that he would have the skills to teach that class.) Then he referred to his Dad's words of instruction several times about a life well lived. Ahh....that's what makes all the difference.

There is an educator, Marva Collins who started out teaching in the Harlem Getto she basically re-parented the kids in her classes. Almost all of them went on to eccell in life with an inordinate percentage becoming doctors, lawyers, teachers etc.

Paul you're the kind of immigrant that gave the US any of the strength that it has ever been able to enjoy. Welcome! I hope one day we can have the proud opportunity to brag that you are a fellow citizen. (In technical fact as well as in spirit.)

No, but not going completely overboard every time a wanna be Jihad warrier kills somebody outside a supermarket in Paris is.

Yea, that should just be brushed off. It's a brave, new world!

We should get used to it. :drink:

... Have you noticed how kids have kinda given up? 20 year olds still living at home with no thought of getting out...

Not my kids! Every one of them (8 so far) has been eager to get out as soon as possible after high school. Maybe that's because I held them to high standards and we actually enforced certain rules of behavior.

Yea, that should just be brushed off. It's a brave, new world!

We should get used to it. :drink:

Since we can't do much about it, without ruining our own lives like y'all have done with your Homeland security act, we might as well get used to it.

Making every little act of terrorism or every school shooting into BREAKING NEWS!!!!!!!!!!!! sure seems to have helped stop the problems, doesn't it.

Those aren't parenting. Almost any man can be a dad. Father is a specific thing born of sacrifice, love, and commitment.

Disciple - to bring one up in....

Similar to a Stig intern as opposed to most peoples laborer/ground man.

Back