In The News...

It's tough for outsiders looking inwards to the USA to understand. Because we don't have a culture of guns everywhere. To us it seems unimaginable. Like it really begs the question. Why? And then this ability to overthrow the government, constitutional right, trumpet that gets blown also seems unimaginable. When was it again that you guys overthrew your own government last?

Do you really load ammo and clean barrels thinking to yourself. There. Now I can shoot an elected official if I ever need to.

Oh I've been down into the states atleast seven or eight times. Seemed a lot like here. Just don't order fish and chips or a beer and clam and it was smooth sailing. No one shot me or anyone else for that matter. Some people were friendly and some people were ignorant. Just like here.

I'm just glad I don't have to pack a firearm, but if I lived somewhere where others did/could you can guarantee I would be. I wouldn't want to live with the weight of that on my hip or my conscience.

I have tried to communicate that I believe that our violence problem goes much deeper than the ability to obtain firearms.

I DO NOT believe that gun control will suddenly fix the problems that America faces.

A couple examples have been made, such as the fact that no other country spends more on education or health, yet we still have poor schools and too expensive health care.

I truly believe it all starts with education and ends with strong two parent households.

One thing that Kyle did not mention was the Media. As far as I can tell, the rest of the "white" world does not push race, class, and political war to the extent that the US does.

I believe our media should take a lot of blame for making sure the fires remain stoked.

Justin, do I think about killing politicians? frig no. What the hell? I enjoy guns and the use of them. I have access to lots and lots of guns and ammo.

Does that mean that I think the second amendment is invalid? Again, hell no. Just as I dont think the first amendment is invalid.

However, history does not prove that govts have a great track record when it comes to disarming a population or curtailing free speech.

I definitely don't have you on ignore, I don't mind a lively debate and, I'm chasing my 10 month old daughter around the house atm (who is a human wrecking ball). Thank you for your kind words btw :)

I always like to point out it's not an all or nothing. Simple weekend course and it covered my regular long gun license and my restricted pistola license. I almost slept through the whole thing and still passed. Many more 'restrictions' here on storage and handling but anyone who wants to can still have a safe full of guns and enjoy recreational shooting and hunting.

Currently, we have to sit a class before you get a concealed weapons licence. My friend took the class and he thought it was well worth the time.

I was grandfathered in, as I got my licence when I turned 21.

When I buy a gun I have to submit to a federal back ground check. Currently there are laws concerning the age which a person can buy a gun.

I can not own a firearm if I have been deemed mentally defective......or have been convicted of certain crimes.

We have fairly comprehensive gun laws too. States have enacted their own laws on top of federal law as well.

I guess my question is if Canadians and Americans can buy the same kinds of food, why is it that Americans are more obese than Canadians?

Could it be education, govt policies on poverty and our reliance on consumption over everything else?

Should we ban cheese burgers and soda? Or maybe have background checks for those items?

Those things seem reasonable to me. But some states are much more lenient no? *response to Jims gun laws*

Societies by their very nature are rotten and corrupt everywhere I think. I don't see many if any great selfless leaders when I look around. Corruption and greed are mans nature, I don't think that's a USA problem. It's more universal. Every time I hear my priminister talk I don't think about shooting him, but I sure feel like he could use a good slap upside the head. When I look around I see corruption and greed in every level of government.

Our government announced yesterday a 800million dollar 'settlement' with the victims of the 'sixties scoop' where many native people were taken from their families and put into foster care. Seems reasonable right? Money always sets things square

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/ottawa-settle-60s-scoop-survivors-1.4342462

Ha! It's a posting frenzy. I love it!

Jim I don't think that Canadians are as skinny as you think. The fast food industry isn't hurting up here any if the idling lineups of vehicles I see if I'm in town near lunch or dinner would seem to indicate.

I saw that earlier today as well. Wonder if any of my ancestors were involved.....

Yes, some states are very lenient when it comes to guns. Montana being one of them.

We also dont have nearly the amount of gun violence as places with more strict laws. Its more of a demographic/socio/economic problem.

The areas with the most crime and violence are the areas with the highest rates of poverty and govt intervention.....not surprisingly areas with the worst performing schools as well.

I am a reasonably fat person.....but holy cow. Some of the people I see make me look positively svelte.

One thing that bothers me is all the protesting about ________-Lives Matter.

Mother of pearl, diabetes and heart disease kill more ______ people than cops ever dreamed about. It all comes down to choices. Some of it is sheer laziness, some of it education, some of it marketing.

I would say finances factor into it but that would be a lie. You can eat healthier and cheaper by going shopping and cooking for your family.

I completely agree with Jim about the media dumping gas on the fire, but that again is by design. If we are bickering about less important issues such as healthcare reform (in which the insurance and drug companies profit greatly no matter how they set it up short of single payer) and building a friggin' wall (very lucrative government contracts handed out), we can't argue about trade deals and market deregulation that have all but eliminated the middle class. By fighting over gun control, we can't address the actual problem of what amounts to welfare handed out to corporations through tax breaks. If you sit the most right wing average Joe down with the most bleeding heart liberal, and talk about actual issues like these that greatly favor the rich non working class, they are usually both in compete agreement. But that isn't what they want us to think about, so they drown out that conversation with bullshit, and if they are forced to address any real issues, they aren't covered at all, and even when they have to address them, the politics figure out a way to spin it so they get what they want. The only problem that we need to address as a country is the fact that the playing field isn't level, despite how much the rich praise pure capitalism.

As far as how often we attempt to overthrow the government, it happens way more than you would think. I mentioned the battle of Blair mountain earlier, where attempts to unionize the mine there lead to thousands literally taking up arms against the hired guns and the government who used military ordinances against them. The Bundy rancher thing in Nevada was another. The black lives matter movement will imo eventually become armed conflict, as the civil rights movement did in the 60s and 70s. And with wages stagnant and inflation and income inequality growing rampantly, there is going to be another civil war in the future (my prediction). The police here have been greatly militarized the past few decades, following Bush's signing into law that police can use "left over" military equipment and ordinances. So yes, having the masses of this country armed is very important even in today's modern and "civilized" era.

The overwhelming majority of violence in America is black on black crime. Call me racist or whatever, but the facts are facts. All this violence you talk about mostly happens in poor black neighborhoods. Those neighborhoods are inhabited by a large majority of welfare recipients and people who live their entire lives on government handouts.

Want to make America less violent? Eliminate the ghettos. And you can't do that by giving them more free money. They have been taking free money for generations. How's that working out? All of which has diddly squat to do with gun control. You cannot reduce violence by regulating an inanimate object. If you think you can, you're either not very smart or completely brainwashed.
I gonna take you up on your request, and call you a racist, and an ignorant one to boot! Food stamp statistics- whites-40.2%, Black-25%, Hispanics-10%. If you go state by state, the largest % of people on government assistance in almost every state are whites. If your gonna spew your hatred, at least have your fact straight, for frig sake. We won't get into why "ghetto's" are crime ridden, and mostly filled with minorities, because that is clearly way above the intelligence of either one of us.

Back