In The News...

Because Stigs hardcore. I'm guessing he has a DNR(do not resuscitate) on his chart.

My x-wife worked for years at a treatment center for resuscitated people with brain damage.

She absolutely forbid me to ever try to "Save" someone with a stopped heart.

The percentage that makes it with no neural damage is very small.

So, yes.

No resuscitation, please.

I also have a "I don't want donor blood" on there.

Basically, I have a " Leave me the F alone" on there.

I'd rather just die than end up as a hostage to the wonders of modern medicine.

I don't think that makes me hardcore, it just means that I'm more scared of some other stuff than I am of death.

I presume these explorers hold amundsen in high esteem and try to emulate some of his exploits. Just because they can use a sat phone if need arises doesn't mean they aren't doing extremely diffucult treks, just means they have a better shot of surviving if things go pear shaped. No doubt they are loath to opt for rescue.

Would you think more of these guys if they left all means of rescue/comms behind?

So if'n yer bleeding out, just leave it alone?

That would be fine with me.
Gotta die someday, I believe.

Jim, when my grandmother was 94, she had a small blood clot in her brain, fell over and lay on the floor for a day or so before she was found.
When old people lay like that, they typically get pneumonia and die.She was pretty close to dead when they found her.
I visited grandma in the hospital and we said our good byes.
She had what is called a "life testament" here, a document that you can make and file with the autorities, that states that in a case like that, you don't want them to mess around with you, trying to "Cure" you.

None the less, some asshole doctor ( Whose name I never managed to get hold of, unfortunately) decided to ignore that and pump her full of antibiotics and "save" her.

She had brain damage from the blood clot, so this woman who had been living in her own home, shopping, cooking and cleaning for herself, with no outside help ( Except I washed her windows, I belived that 94 is too old to hang out a second story window) ended up spending the 2 years it took her to die, sitting in a chair in a nursing home.
Couldn't read or watch television any more, due to the brain damage. So she just sat and waited for someone to come change her diaper. Great way to go out, ain't it.

When I shot my parents old, old dog for them, my mother said: " I wish we could just do the same to granny"

Fortunately she had been smoking all her life, so lung cancer put a stop to her.

That at least, the frigging busy bodies at the hospital couldn't " Cure"

So please, anything happens to me, just leave me alone, that'll save me the trouble of having to shoot myself, once they've "cured" me.

I presume these explorers hold amundsen in high esteem and try to emulate some of his exploits. Just because they can use a sat phone if need arises doesn't mean they aren't doing extremely diffucult treks, just means they have a better shot of surviving if things go pear shaped. No doubt they are loath to opt for rescue.

Would you think more of these guys if they left all means of rescue/comms behind?

I don't think of them as "explorers" since they aren't exploring anything.
Amundsen found the South pole, no reason to go look for it again.
Messner showed that one could climb Everest without oxygen, no reason to do that again.

Except for fun, that is. Which is fine with me.
I just don't like that they bring up the old explorers names, since I see it more of a way of trying to have some of their glory rub off on this last generation of people who go out for fun and to prove something to and about themselves, but not to explore anything.

Sure they are doing difficult stuff, but it is a whole 'nother ball game to my mind.

When Top Gear went to the Pole they didn't try to cloak it in " Commemoration" of anybody, they just went for fun and never tried to blow it up to something it wasn't.

Edit:
I think I might have found a way to express what I mean.

When I went over to climb Redwood and Sequoia the first time, I could have said that I was doing it to honor Jerry B.
Then some people would have thought, wow, he is just as tough as Jerry B. was.

Jerry spur climbed those trees, went in effect into uncharted territory, I just shot a line up and went up that. My gear was a hundred times better than what Jerry used back then.

No comparison whatsoever, but it sure would have sounded good to say, right?

Now why didn't I think of that at the time.

I do understand your POV better using that redwood analogy. Gracias.

And yeah I presume the biggest overall reason for them to do these feats if for fun.

I sure as hell aint gonna trek across Antarctica for fun! Challenge/fun who knows?

Gee, Stig. If you cut an artery in my back yard cutting firewood for me, I think you would have a hard time getting me to not treat you.

But I see what you are saying about your grandmother. Goddamn travesty that was. Should have hung that doctor.

I'd rather just die than end up as a hostage to the wonders of modern medicine.

I don't think that makes me hardcore, it just means that I'm more scared of some other stuff than I am of death.

Right with you on this one Stig.

I did not see footage of the officer shooting, I'm sure it looked bad.

For the society that I want to live in officers will need to be able to stop people from doing certain things to others.

As I understand it a person trained in the use of a knife can close as much as 25 ft of distance and stab an officer before that officer, holding a gun on the offender, can pull the trigger.

Similarly a perpetrator, trained in the use of a gun, can draw and fire multiple killing shots from a holstered gun before an officer who is pointing a gun at him can pull the trigger. This is a result of human reaction time.

The fact is that far more often than not officers should have shot and either did not know to or were unwilling to. They risked there own lives and the lives of those they were responsible to protect.

Get police to hold up shooting dip sticks with weapons more. Give them a little time to think about it and feel more how thankless and unappreciating we are as a public. Then mix in a group of six or up to hundreds of dip stick thugs that care little for life or anything else as seen on some of the current imagrent videos. You will have droves of officers step away from the job during a crisis as I understand happened some during hurricane Katrina.

As you like....carry on.

Seemed about the right way to disarm him.
Shooting him, I mean.
But why shoot him a bunch more times once he was down.

Here, they would most likely have teargassed him out of the bus, then have let a K9 dog eat him.

Yah seems like the fleet of fat assed cops could've handled that a little better, but I feel no remorse for the moron killed. You pull a stunt like that in public and you may be shot dead by cops. If you don't know that or choose to ignore it? Law and order has to be kept.

I bet all that trial money would've been much better spent on some extra engagement training and gym passes.

That was my first thought on seeing the video.

That I didn't know being fat was a requirement for cops in Canada es well as in the US.

I've only ever seen one somewhat overweight cop here, and he worked in the gun registration office behind a desk.

9 shots and a taze seemed a little overzealous but it got the job done. Clean-up and get the traffic moving.

Nine years in the army I always thought killem'all let God sort them out. Now I think my elderly mother with dementia, if she gets out and gets into an altercation with the police....... she grew up in Slovakia during WW2 and then the soviet occupation, police came and took her brother away at 12 to the gulags.... she will occasionally hold my 5 year old daughter close and whisper in Slovak to "keep quiet they are looking for her"

If that's the case Peter and you have someone with say dementia or a mental illness of some sort in your family and you're worried that they are going to pull a knife on someone in public than you'd certainly be best to keep them supervised. In order to maintain law and order for all there's always the risk that an innocent could be harmed.

You know how I deal with officers? 1. Comply with all orders. 2. Answer with only 'yes sir, no sir, sorry sir'. 3. Answer direct questions otherwise STFU.

Seemed about the right way to disarm him.
Shooting him, I mean.
But why shoot him a bunch more times once he was down.

Have not had police training, was not there but, purpose of legally shooting someone is to stop all ability to continue action you believed was going to lead to death or grave bodily injury to yourself or another.

Drugged and crazed people absorb punishment and get up to continue on. Hathcock put 14 (?) NATO 308 rounds into an enemy before that person stopped coming at him.

I did not see footage of the officer shooting, I'm sure it looked bad.

Next time you want to discuss a video, how about watching it first.

Shall we have a literary discussion about a book that neither of us had read?
I'm sure that would work fine.

The last 5 shots are fired into a dead body. It was not a case of one knifewielding perpetrator against one heroic cop, protecting the poor civilians.
There were at least 3 lard ass cops ( Sorry, but to me fat cops are nothing but a disgrace to their uniforms. Here they get kicked off the force) pointing their guns at him, so they were not exactly fearing for their lives.

I never said shooting him was wrong, but what they pulled off was just bad police work.

I can find a bunch of videos like it, where US police have either escalated a sitiuation or killed someone with no need, simply because they haven't been trained properly.
In stead of taking a bit of time to resolve the situation, it is always, shoot, shoot, shoot.

Sloppy police work IMO, and lack of proper training.

As for someone closing 25 feet in less time than you can pull a trigger, I'd love to see that backed up by facts. If human reaction time was that slow, no boxer would ever be able to block or evade a punch.

Back