In The News...

I completely miss the relevance. You guys don't get audited in the US? Or it's optional for you or something? You just say 'no thanks, I'd rather not'.

And to clarify, it had nothing to do with police whatsoever. I was 'terrorized'(according to Jim) by an accountant.

Jim. I'm third generation Canadian. I have not nor do I know anyone who has been 'terrorized' by the police. Yet there is a whole u tube basically over boiling with USA troopers trampling all over your guys 'rights'. I pass it off as sensationalistic camera footage but maybe I should paint your whole country with the same brush instead?

Do you fear your police? Because I don't.

You're not following at all. If you assault someone in Canada it will be investigated no matter what where or who took part in it. That is called due diligence and has to be done to be fair to all parties involved. It ain't the Wild West.

Not at all, we are under constant threat of an Audit....they even say that they are random. But to say being under investigation is no big deal is incorrect.

You call it sensationalist reporting, I think it is sensationalist policing.

Correct me if I'm wrong Jim. But where did I say it was 'no big deal' to be investigated for assault? I'm sure it's a big deal, I imagine the whole event was.

Jim. Some blurb taken out of context, reported by some obscure am radio news channel is not something I'm looking to discuss a whole ton. I will discuss our actual laws and actual cases if anyone cares to debate.

I believe the law changed in Canada pertaining to people convicted of severe crimes being eligible for parole, making it harder to possibly get out of prison, or at least there was a new amendment put forth about two years ago to help ensure longer sentences. C-53 it was called. I guess more than a few thought it necessary. I can't find if it passed or not, which is what I was asking.

It's not hard to find cases of people being charged with defending their home, what's harder is knowing whether or not the news sources are legit or not. Here is a recent case pending, lots of websites mention it. Perhaps this is a more legitimate news source being local, not an opinion oriented information type one since they also give the weather. :lol: Lots of sites seem to pick up stories from other sources, who knows from where the information originates.

http://thechronicleherald.ca/novasc...hot-man-in-home-charged#.WXM6Wmvlgdg.facebook

Do you look at the laws or at the culture when comparing crime rates between countries. Does Canada have the inner city strife that the US has, which is where the vast majority of violent crimes take place.

I believe the law changed in Canada pertaining to people convicted of severe crimes being eligible for parole, making it harder to possibly get out of prison, or at least there was a new amendment put forth about two years ago to help ensure longer sentences. C-53 it was called. I guess more than a few thought it necessary. I can't find if it passed or not, which is what I was asking.

It's not hard to find cases of people being charged with defending their home, what's harder is knowing whether or not the news sources are legit or not. Here is a recent case pending, lots of websites mention it. Perhaps this is a more legitimate news source being local, not an opinion oriented information type one since they also give the weather. :lol: Lots of sites seem to pick up stories from other sources, who knows from where the information originates.

http://thechronicleherald.ca/novasc...hot-man-in-home-charged#.WXM6Wmvlgdg.facebook

Jay. That link is the same other story that Peter brought up a bit back. The innocent homeowner who is charged was a drug dealer. Last in the list of charges is possession for the purpose of trafficking. So he was more than likely previously prohibited from having guns and had them anyways to protect his stash, which is why he was being home invaded in the first place. He is exactly the type of homeowner who should be charged. A frigging drug dealer. Good for the cops for laying the charges on thick I say.

Stories like this get 'twisted' to outrage Canadians.

Do you look at the laws or at the culture when comparing crime rates between countries. Does Canada have the inner city strife that the US has, which is where the vast majority of violent crimes take place.

It probably doesn't, but it still has some biggish cities, maybe it would be interesting to compare stats in similar sized cities from the US?. But how do you compare without comparing? I'm just regurgitating in that link what seems to be commonly accepted, our crime rates are lower. Canada is what it is, same as the USA. But here yes you may be charged if you go to town in someone for trying to rob you. Espescially I believe if they have surrendered or are retreating. If you really look into charges against homeowners for defending against an invasion I believe that is the common theme you will see. That an assault took place after a surrender or during retreat. Otherwise we can as the law states 'stand our ground'.

Section 40 of the Criminal Code notes, “everyone who is in possession of a dwelling house is justified in using as much force as necessary, to prevent any person from forcibly breaking into or entering the dwelling house without lawful authority

Certainly I would concede that our laws and justice system are much less lenient in the use of force to defend yourself, when compared to the USA. Up here, if you're going to shoot someone, you'd better have your ducks in a row. Meaning it had better be a legitimate defence of yourself and home.

No doubt a home invasion for the residents must be a highly stressful and often panicking situation. Following the course of the law could be difficult.

I agree. Much smarter to think through scenarios ahead of time. but still heat of the moment could be hard to stick to any sort of pre-planning.

A ounce of prevention and all that. Ive boasted before about being able to sleep with my doors wide open. But anyone that knows me on here knows I've got a couple of beasts watching my back too. And no doubt about it, it's easy to sleep sound with Thundy and Tankyboy stretched out in the mud room.

Back