In The News...

Nice! What changed, less leisure/barefoot time, more work/shod time?
Yep. I hunted barefoot for years and the ability to move through the woods with real stealth is one thing I miss about it. Even as tough as my feet were back then, things like stepping on prickly pear pads and saw palmetto petioles between the toes really hurt. There were plenty of poisonous snakes in Florida in those days and my hunting partner and I had some really close bare footed calls in backcountry situations that could've been ugly. Then came marriage and work.
You're a beast Cory, barefoot trail hiking/running at 60. I still run on the beach, but on a trail I'd be hopping around like a lame horse.

Wow cool story about barefoot hunting !

Wish I could say I barefoot run but a shot knee prevents that. The hiking stuff is a lot of fun though, on trail and off. Hiking with poisonous snakes around, that is heavy. Of course as you know, being barefoot causes increased awareness, but still, that is some committed stuff.

A wooden hiking staff for going through rough ground is key for me, 3 legs better than two.

A wooden hiking staff for going through rough ground is key for me, 3 legs better than two.

Now you got my attention. I always carry a bamboo staff when hiking...good support going up or down, quick defense against dogs (or snakes for you guys), helps vault creeks, etc.

Good to carry gear, too....

Attachments

• IMG_20160819_112007201resized.jpg
    IMG_20160819_112007201resized.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 37
Ha...how did you know???

Attachments

• cooking with bamboo1.jpg
    cooking with bamboo1.jpg
    244.8 KB · Views: 37
  • cooking with bamboo3.jpg
    cooking with bamboo3.jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 41
  • cooking with bamboo4.jpg
    cooking with bamboo4.jpg
    230.7 KB · Views: 38
  • cooking with bamboo5 (2).jpg
    cooking with bamboo5 (2).jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 39
  • cooking with bamboo6.jpg
    cooking with bamboo6.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 36
People always get mad at me because I like my kids barefooted. They think its child abise or something or I'm impoverished. I hated shoes as a kid and really don't think they belong on feet outside of school or work or a restaurant.

I could never do what that crazy hiking guy did. Not just because I physically never could but the wasting of shoes! Tsk tsk. My beater pair of shoes is over eight years old and my good going to town runners have got to be two to three years old.

My feet have got tougher. I never went barefoot when I was young. I can walk down a stone drive now. Don't have a clue why.

200 and some miles seems awfully low mileage. Maybe the support broke down. Need all the help you can get with a task like that.

Nice! What changed, less leisure/barefoot time, more work/shod time?

I always had an affinity for bare feet but never really considered hiking etc barefoot till I read the book Born to Run in 2011, been doing it quite a lot since. To hike with shoes on I'd feel like I'm missing out on the full experience and missing out on good exercise.

In my youth I used to go to Holland for a 3 week karate training camp every year.
First year I realized the one's feet couldn't hold up to that and since I really hated doing Karate in shoes, I started a barefoot walking/running regime to toughen my feet.
Kept that up for lots of years, and long after I stopped and started running in shoes, my style was based on never letting the heel touch the ground.

Summer in Bermuda is either barefoot at home or flip flops. A selection of flip flops and sandals from run to the grocery store to the evening at the art exhibition...
Now in Tasmania...to bloody cold to go barefoot, and only a few weeks warm enough to wear flip flops (I will never call them thongs...) I am always amazed at people here who walk into the grocery store in bare feet...seems to be a thing, to go barefoot in public. looks daggy though.

Now you got my attention. I always carry a bamboo staff when hiking...good support going up or down, quick defense against dogs (or snakes for you guys), helps vault creeks, etc.

Good to carry gear, too....

Couldn't agree more. Great pics, Gary, and lots of cool barefoot anecdotes, y'all.

I dare all of you barefoot hikers to walk through my house at three AM to visit the bathroom. Legos are a tool of the devil is all I can say. No matter how well I pick up at night, one jumps out under my feet in the morning. The heightened sense of awareness keeps me from finding the hair balls from that damn cat my wife and kids love so much though. Sooner or later my wife will get over that and let me "relocate" him.

:lol: Oh, yeah...we have had Legos around here for decades. Ubiquitous and deadly!

Batman scenario and Legos can be guarantee of trouble. Waiting for Batman to spring the trap!

Attachments

• BatmanScenarioBackporchresized4.jpg
    BatmanScenarioBackporchresized4.jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 45
Lol no legos in my house yet. My 6 year old doesn't make much of a mess anymore. But my 1 nearly 2 year old..... wow. It's like walking through the house with people swinging shovels at your ankles. Or the time he was playing with a bubble blowing gun thing and all that mess got the kitchen floor... I found it at 2 am having to go in on a call at the mill. Thought it killed me.

The only time I'm bare foot is when I'm in bed or the shower.

Short of that, I'm wearing flip-flops.

Back