In The News...

I like the BBC for news about Europe.

I would take a suggestion as well as to a better source.

Wont watch Aljazeera. Not ever.

I dont want to be going on some list.

that's crazy. if you want to know what's going on in the middle east, Africa, asia, amazing coverage of American Indian affairs, Al Jazeera has no peer. also great for environmental issues.

I also enjoy the economist, wall street journal, and the New Yorker. WSJ I read on line, the economist and new Yorker are good in print. and I like national geographic for the pictures. shit I dont care if I'm getting brainwashed, I would be bored as hell without reading.

There is a little disclaimer to this and I must confess that when people say its all the medias fault it does hit a little bit close to home. My father was a war reporter in Vietnam embedded with the South Vietnam soldiers in Huey at the start of the Tet offensive. There, he got his eye blown out and was shipped out to the Philippines where he recovered. One of many stories if you can imagine. My mother was a reporter for the Boston globe in the early 70s. Beat reporter from then all the way past when She was covering education and school board meetings for the Denver Post when the Columbine shootings happened. This profession is important. My floor was littered with newspapers growing up. It went so deep in my family that I delivered newspapers as 5th and 6th grader: waking up at 6:00 and delivering 50 papers from a shopping cart while jamming Judas priest on a walkman. It is a brave and persecuted profession. They are the first people shot when a stalin or pol pot comes into town. They are on the scene with the first responders, they sit through hours and hours of school board meetings at odd hours of the day giving the people the rundown of what was said. Getting up before their children and coming home after they are in bed. I was taught growing up that the pen is mightier than the sword and its why i get riled up when there is any hint of taking my pen away. Similar to how some people feel about their guns. So of course this is all coming from a pretty skewed and bias perspective when it comes to the "media."

I think I would have enjoyed being a reporter, but not in combat.

I'm a wuss about bombs and bullets.

Bears and mountain lions, too.

No doubt that there have been and still are "journalists".

We've got plenty of them here.
But then we've never got into the habit of letting our media be bought and controlled by people with political goals.

Rupert Murdock ( Hope I spelled that right) doesn't own any Danish media as far as I know.

Breitbart would be a complete laughing stock here, just like the fat boys at Fox, who make shit up.

Had a couple of EXTREMELY communist papers in the 70es, they ended up as laughingstocks, too.

If a population is used to being critical towards their media, it is hard to sneak a hard core political "media" by them.

RT is Russian state media. pro Putin perspective but they have a lot of news about a lot of places and some good fearures too.

Seems to me Kevin that your source of news is pretty broad. Being able to distil it all and decide what is 'truth' is the difficult part. So much of what we call our 'opinion' is shaped by our experience and influences of life (including parents)

We like AlJazeera too. Initially we were scared off by the name and the fact it comes out of the middle east, but watching it with an open mind it is pretty good news coverage of a LOT of the world. BBC was ok...until we were in Israel and SAW stuff happen, then hearing it on the BBC made it sound like something completely different.
SBS here in Australia covers a lot of proper WORLD news.
Then there are small things like Landline (rural news but with international implications, especially trade) Compass, Catalyst...I don't profess to know who owns them, and that seems to play a large part these days as to what kind of 'spin' may be put on news.

I get sick and tired of the politicians on TV, as soon as one lot does something, the other lot are right on with their sanctimonius 'isn't it awful, we would do SO much better' drivel. Reactive politics...sheesh why not say something fresh and original.

The AlJazeera is good on line at times. But if you get the FB feed, often lean hard left.
RT is as described.

I look at most all media and then research what I see that I think will effect me.

“Matt Lauer fired from 'Today' due to 'inappropriate sexual behavior' in the workplace”. LOL, it’s entertaining to watch them eat their own. People in glass houses something something...

Pretty unbelievable. He's the most straight-laced nerd I've ever seen.

Can't wait to see who his accuser is...

You would think these people would be smart enough not to join in on a witch hunt with a closet full of bones of their own.

Back