In The News...

Stigs post was to the point.

It's a big shit sandwich....but I don't think getting rid of legal guns is the answer. I have not changed my position

Not my concern that everyone is a hoplophobe.

You can continue to agitate on this matter....but someone else will have to take up the debate.

Rather than turn your life into a fortress, why not simply look at statistics instead and realize that the chance of being a victim of terrorism or for that matter a sholl shooting, is extremely small.

Most if not all of us here face higher danger just doing our job.

Agreed, so risk mitigation. Train and prepare. Much easier to mitigate risk by just being trained and prepared. Enables you to recognise the risk and avoid it or mitigate. You are trained, your training probably gives you insight to trouble.
Again, the risk is small. My kids are more at risk to a kidnapping than a shooting. SO we prepare and educate more to that. But my kids are also being trained in gun handling. In my eyes, there biggest risk with a firearm is an accidental shooting when at a friends etc.. If they know gun handling and safety, they have a better chance avoiding the risk or stopping the event. I wish I could afford martial arts as well.
And they will never starve.

Can anyone here speak of parental responsibility?
Honestly, it aeems like a deliberate effort to ignore the cause, instead, focusing on the effect

you could also say it blows a huge hole in the idea of arming teachers. if a cop is going to hide, what's the social studies teacher going to do?

That depends on who the social studies teacher is. I was a high school teacher for two years....science. The teacher on the other side of the "curtain" wall (an accordion contraption) was Sargeant Green...VietNam vet, artillery.

I was already fairly well trained then in martial arts...fair amount of gun handling experience, too. He and I would have been prime candidates for specific firearms handling skills related to student/school defense. He had already "been there, done that"...no BS about him. I am sure there are good people in every school who could and would step up to the plate to learn what it takes to develop a gun hand skill that might save their students. Maybe keep a bad guy(s) busy long enough for the cops to show up...and then, hopefully, come help. At least to have a chance to stay alive. I guarantee you those coaches in Broward County would have loved to have a gun to confront the shooter. They died protecting kids...a helluva brave and noble thing to do. I wish they could have found a way to kill the bastard and be live heroes.

Jim weren't we just discussing recently how you are more likely to be shot to death than I am likely to be involved in a fatal motor vehicle accident?

But nothing to worry about. No need for gun control.

I suspect that if 5-10 teachers per school were armed then there might not be any more mass school shootings. Everybody just assumes that if one metric changes then all the other metrics remain the same. People who do this type of thing target large bodies of helpless victims, the key word being helpless. You notice there is no such thing as a mass police station shooting or mass gun shop shooting?

Jim weren't we just discussing recently how you are more likely to be shot to death than I am likely to be involved in a fatal motor vehicle accident?

But nothing to worry about. No need for gun control.

Oooohhhh.....got me.

I am WAY more likely to die from heart disease than gun violence.....but I reckon I will keep sucking down those cheese burgers and really worry about guns today.

Being the son of two teachers, I just love how y'all simply assume that school teachers are sane enough to carry guns around:lol:

My dad would have stopped that idiot, I have no doubt about that.
My mom, on the other hand,would have shot a bunch of students and teachers if they annoyed her.

Being the son of two teachers, I just love how y'all simply assume that school teachers are sane enough to carry guns around:lol:

My dad would have stopped that idiot, I have no doubt about that.
My mom, on the other hand,would have shot a bunch of students and teachers if they annoyed her.

thats how I feel........too many emotions for some teachers to be armed. I support school resources officers......but that dint work so good this time.

Back