In The News...

Think about Iraq where they are still pissed off over a family fued that happened in 625.

And it has held them back forever.

My great grandfather got hustled in a card game and lost the deed to the farm. He had to borrow money at high interest to pay for his farm again.

That bit of business has been a burden on us for generations.

Should that have doomed us to a life of lowered expectations?

This narrative is holding these people back. And now we are using it as an excuse to keep them down.

I don't know too many details except that he lost it to a banker and a lawyer that were working together.

The banker then sold it back to him for a big profit plus interest.

My great grandmother, the one that got in the shoot out with bootleggers, found out later from the banker that they had cheated. There was no way to prove it. Not sure why he told her. She may have threatened him.

Great grandpa Jess never did play cards after that....at least not for money.

http://www.sportingnews.com/mlb/new...leadoff-stolen-bases/uhjh9mw5yb801wa91tzs3ldj
I see Tim Raines made the MLB Hall of Fame, good for him. I played against Tim in High School and with him on all conference teams and some other leagues. He had blazing speed, a great arm and was an excellent hitter. His brother Ned was just as good but had problems. I've still got a picture from the newspaper in an old scrapbook stealing second on Tim (he was catching at the time). Our high school teams were pretty bitter rivals.

What's up with the police chiefs uniform jacket, it appears a couple sizes too big. I wonder if she's got on a bullet proof vest underneath? :lol:

What would really be cool is if the top hat sat at a slight angle like was recommended in Victorian days to show refinement and self assurance..

I don't know too many details except that he lost it to a banker and a lawyer that were working together.

The banker then sold it back to him for a big profit plus interest.

My great grandmother, the one that got in the shoot out with bootleggers, found out later from the banker that they had cheated. There was no way to prove it. Not sure why he told her. She may have threatened him.

Great grandpa Jess never did play cards after that....at least not for money.

Crazy story! No wonder you distrust the powers that be, da Man.

http://www.sportingnews.com/mlb/new...leadoff-stolen-bases/uhjh9mw5yb801wa91tzs3ldj
I see Tim Raines made the MLB Hall of Fame, good for him. I played against Tim in High School and with him on all conference teams and some other leagues. He had blazing speed, a great arm and was an excellent hitter. His brother Ned was just as good but had problems. I've still got a picture from the newspaper in an old scrapbook stealing second on Tim (he was catching at the time). Our high school teams were pretty bitter rivals.

Wow that is a cool story, Ray. I'm not a baseball fan at all but I can surely appreciate stories of a great athlete on the way up. Sounds like you have the jock gene too! High school sports can be absolutely epic. I played at an average level back in the day but my son played at a high level and it was a heckuva ride.

I played little league and was a catcher. The last year Rick Dempsey joined the team. I shared catching duties with him, but even at that young age you could see that he had something different. He later became the starting catcher for the Baltimore Orioles for ten seasons and was a world series MVP. Nice guy but kind of aloof in his own baseball atmosphere. Beloved in Baltimore it seems.

Hey that's cool Jay, more common ground. We played with future big league superstars and here we are running chainsaws. Seriously, I wouldn't trade places with them, I think I'm right where I'm supposed to be.
Catchers are a different breed. I watched our high school catcher get hit on the end of his bare middle finger by a smoking fastball. Drove it up into his hand and was almost flush with the next two and he wanted to stay in the game. I think catchers should be the highest paid players in baseball. They take tremendous abuse and usually have fairly short careers by comparison.

Right, Ray, funny how it works... Catching does have it's nuances, I guess like every position. Being tight with the pitcher is really fun, and the throw to second never gets old.

It wouldn't play for me but I saw the headline, did she live?

Back