In The News...

Dunno about all that... just getting old and can't be doing some of the things I do.

Extraordinary achievement, looks like he could use a long rest and feed up.

That's an incredible mental challenge as well.

I did 50 miles in a day one time. Full pack military basic training. Along with about 30 others. Half of which never made it half way through. Oh, the DI's were terribly hard on the recruits that dropped out. Shoving and knocking them down and then kicking them screaming an yelling the whole time. I don't think they would let the DI's do that today.

I think I only made it through because the humiliation of getting kicked was worse than the pain of finishing the hike.

now 45 days at 48 miles a day. That guy was super human.

Glad you guys liked that story, it is freaking crazy. And nobody made a stink about 'racing' on the trail. No doubt this guy loves the trail and nature in general, it so happens that one his best ways of digging into it is to go fast.

Gerr, what was 50 miles in one day like? Mad tiring of course but wonder if you have any specific recollections?

I used to spend weekends in high school running 12mi to a friends house, working out on weights a couple hours, and then running home. Did a couple marathons back in the day. Can't imagine running 50/day regular.

Amazing Cory. He went through eight pairs of shoes!!!! That averages around 270 miles per pair so I guess that's pretty good mileage. I'm surprised about his pack too, without a waist belt it seems like it would bounce like crazy while running but I'm sure he had everything fine tuned from past experience. One tough dude running 37 hours straight but I bet Jerry could stay with him back in the day.

There's not much Jerry can't do, is there?!?!?!

I did a little day hike last summer in Maine on the AT, the trail is quite rugged and rocky and lots of mud too, definitely tough on shoes.

Ha, I was barefoot, I had an unfair advantage . Btw, a pair of sisters thru hiked the trail barefoot.

My feet were like live oak bark well into my twenties. Now they're soft as a babies' butt.

Nice! What changed, less leisure/barefoot time, more work/shod time?

I always had an affinity for bare feet but never really considered hiking etc barefoot till I read the book Born to Run in 2011, been doing it quite a lot since. To hike with shoes on I'd feel like I'm missing out on the full experience and missing out on good exercise.

Back