In The News...

http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/12/politics/detroit-ice-iraqi-christians/index.html

I live in what is reffered to as Chaldean town in Detroit. Most of the Chaldeans have moved out of the neighborhood in the last decade or so buy many still remain. Last week on the block where I lived until two years ago, my old neighbor was whisked away in the early morning by border control. It appears he was one of the guys mentioned in this article.
I find it impossible to believe that he had no idea of what was going to happen. The article mentions that hearings have been held finding no path for relief for the deportees. So your neighbor must have been aware of this for a couple years at least. If he's been here 40 years without applying for citizenship then tough shit, go home.

Our lot in life is a direct result of our combined life choices. We make thousands of choices every single day. In 40 years that guy never once decided to become an American citizen.

Maybe whatever he did as a young man prevented him from becoming a citizen. I Have no idea of his life as a young man. Certainly no threat to anyone these days, he's well over 60.

We are a nation built on laws under a new "law and order" administration...he broke the law...simple.

Personal situations mean little...the goal here is being able to report large numbers of deportations.

We are a nation of laws Kevin, can I pick and choose which ones suit me..?

ETA: Ya think maybe "law and order" might be the goal Dave..?

I'm a registered alien with working rights, not a citizen where I reside. in a number of those Iraqi cases, they have a similar arrangement by way of having green cards, so they aren't breaking any immigration laws. If a person has a right to live and earn money, has satisfied the requirements to do so, not being a citizen is no grounds for criticism. Maybe they don't want to be a citizen for their own reasons, if they are fulfilling their obligation by paying their taxes there is nothing wrong with keeping another nationality. I think a number of you guys have got it wrong on that.

Being previously arrested for crimes, whether that's a matter for deportation is a different subject. I haven't researched it, but aside from not being able to vote, registered aliens are probably subject to most if not all of the same rights and privileges as citizens. Personally, if they have green cards, I think that they are getting a very bum deal. If an illegal alien that's different and it changes the whole game.

if people like Ron are scooped up and deported to meet certain death, at the hands of ISIS... than the law is wrong. thats all there is to it. You would have to be sick in the head to think that the punishment fits the crime. I have no idea what the crime is nor does it even matter.

I was referring to what the article said were people with green cards that were being deported because of earlier violations against the law. Apparently there are those cases as well.

if people like Ron are scooped up and deported to meet certain death, at the hands of ISIS... than the law is wrong. thats all there is to it. You would have to be sick in the head to think that the punishment fits the crime. I have no idea what the crime is nor does it even matter.

Ron has nobody to blame but himself. He had several decades to make the choice to live here legally. Instead he chose to ignore it and continue living here illegally. No sympathy here. I didn't force him to ignore the law.

Something you can pretty easily learn as a foreigner, if not by your own experience, by what other people will tell you, is not to mess around with immigration.

Kevin, the law has nothing to do with being right or wrong...or fair...it is a business for profit and a political tool. The largest number of "crimes" are actually civil infractions that end up carrying criminal penalties... quasi-criminal proceedings reap huge profits for lawyers and the courts, usually at the expense of the less wealthy...it's a far larger problem than a few deportations if you want to get pissed about the law not being fair...

As Brian has stated, we all live with our choices and the guy made his for many years.

That's just crazy talk Ray, that guy wants people to carry icky ol guns. I need to go see my therapist now, be back later.

I wonder how many people so critical of others that break immigration laws, have willfully cheated on their taxes? That's fraudulent criminal activity and a felony offense, nothing to really give yourself high marks for or be at ease about.

Then they'll have something to worry about if they get audited. Right now people who don't have their ducks in a row immigration wise have something to worry about it would seem.

Does ever doing anything wrong mean you can't be critical of others?

What I'm questioning, Justin, is the morality of people being critical of others for one offense, while giving themselves a pass for another. It seems like you are saying that it's a matter of getting caught or not whether that's a question. Well, it's one way to look at it, people can think how they like, maybe even in glass houses, though it seems a bit hypocritical to me.

I'm not referring to anyone in particular, but asking a question of what seems a likely possibility for someone. I have no idea who doesn't honestly pay their taxes. I always pay them myself in two countries, so as a reference I know it's at least doable.

Back