In The News...

Yeah...As a tribe (dependant), not as protesters on someone else's private property. Noticed the guy forgot to mention that too...

by that measure, Us soldiers kicking down doors in Iraq and Afghanistan are no longer representative of a sovereign nation because they are on private property? Part of sovereignty means that you have the right to defend yourself and confront threats to your existence wherever they may be by whatever means you have available. That is regardless of your thoughts of oil by rail or pipeline.

Totally different deal and governing laws Kevin. But as I said, my issue is with their one sided reporting. If they can't honestly tell both sides they have an agenda, and are not to be trusted when they report the next incident.

I agree it is about money Jim. It does seem though that there would be a better way to run a pipeline that under a lake. We have them in the Great Lakes, as well as Canada Drilling under the lakes, which should all never have happened.

There is a pipeline that goes under the Yellowstone River outside of Billings. It sprung a leak and spilled quite a bit into the river.

It was a big wreck, but was cleaned up. Of course, the pipeline had been exposed from years of erosion, and was not repaired. They just waited till if failed.

I think you could say that about a lot of our infrastructure. I remember being really, really pissed off when that bridge collapsed in MI or MN, I cant remember which. All the while we were building BS projects in Afghanistan and Iraq. For some reason it took American contractors 50 times the money to build stuff than it took the locals.

From what I heard, the original Tribal council made a deal and was happy. The next council wanted more money.....thats where the "sacred lands" deal came about.

It just takes the right amount of money and "sacred lands" become much less so. Not only a Native deal though.

Totally different deal and governing laws Kevin. But as I said, my issue is with their one sided reporting. If they can't honestly tell both sides they have an agenda, and are not to be trusted when they report the next incident.

I agree it is about money Jim. It does seem though that there would be a better way to run a pipeline that under a lake. We have them in the Great Lakes, as well as Canada Drilling under the lakes, which should all never have happened.

i agree with you on reporting. i dont like lopsided reporting either. My issue was with the idea that Indian sovereignty is subjective. Which it is not, although it is treated that way when convenient.

I agree Kevin. Some of the problems arise when tribal Citizens,being basically Federal subjects (dependents), pick and choose what laws apply to them.

When individuals or groups are off the reservation, having the opinion that a State has no authority over them seems to be their opinion because they choose not to "recognise" that particular law as it isn't to their advantage. To the contrary, the State has every right to defend its citizenry, etc. from unlawful acts by those individuals or groups.

In the current pipeline situation, the protesters went beyond peaceful when they blocked construction, intimidated workers, sabotaged and defaced equipment, vehicles, and machinery. In the long run their early tactics were met in kind by the State authorities.

https://www.ecao.org/news.asp?id=364

Guess our provincial government is trying to reduce the value of a C of Q for the trades. I'm not sure how I feel about it. Many tradesmen don't have a clue anyway. I see tradesmen on facebook all in an uproar, in reality I think it will reduce their wages. IMHO companies are looking to increase profits, since energy is on the rise what's left is the manpower to reduce in cost, so I think they have petitioned the government for this change.

Republicans are kicking but lately getting things done.

MI: House passing Bill to levy heavy fines on individuals in large protests and lower standards on shutting them down.

OH: introduced Bill to stop abortion as soon as heartbeat is detectable.

Feds: House removing "buy american" clause from infrastructure Bill.

Looks like the States are betting big on an extremely conservative court system.

Back