In The News...

Jim, I'll assume that your comment came from Jack Daniels rather than Jim Conrad.

I think that Trump for instance would envy the ability of the president of France's president to do what he wants both at home and abroad.

None of the "checks and balances" that I hear about on your potus.

Just found it interesting.

Conversely even with all of their freedom Frances priminister must envy the political, economic, and military might that Trump wields. Even with more checks and balances.

I mean c'mon Mick. That sentence of mine sounds no more absurd then yours.

"President"

The point is being missed.

All of our democracies are to a certain extent similar, or so I thought, however the role of President in France gives much more individual power On internal policy and with regards to his country's foreign policy than, for instance, the British prime minister who has to run almost everything by parliament.

Ok?

It has nothing to do with a pissing contest with the US.

"President"

The point is being missed.

All of our democracies are to a certain extent similar, or so I thought, however the role of President in France gives much more individual power On internal policy and with regards to his country's foreign policy than, for instance, the British prime minister who has to run almost everything by parliament.

Ok?

It has nothing to do with a pissing contest with the US.

That is a point Mick? What sort of one and how would you say it's of interest or relevance to compare Frances leadership powers to the USA.

Also if you don't want to start a pissing match with the Americans you may not want to make your point by saying how trump must envy frances presidents powers. Seems highly unlikely to me that Trump envies your president.

Supposed to be 30-40% by the time it's all said and done. Retroactive 90 days too? Seems untenable but I guess?

Could spell some hard times for around my parts, wouldn't be the first time and probably won't be the last.

Lots of political rhetoric being hurled up here. We are in the midst of our provincial elections. So potential leaders are talking strong on softwood lumber.

Estimates here are that there will be either years of legal battle as their has been in the past, or trump will back off to an acceptable level like you say and an agreement will be reached. Job losses are the short term forecast in the news here.

The latest rhetoric I'm hearing here on softwood is that the tariff will directly impact lumber prices, driving them up for US builders. The politicians say to the point that housing costs will spike and jobs will be lost. So that in essence Trumps plan is somewhat self-defeating?

The good news in it all I guess is on the environmental side. Production is going down. Mills will be slowing production, cutting back shifts, laying off. I expect the log yards to fill up and then logging will slow right down. Less production seems like it will drive the price of lumber up like is being predicted?

We're just finally getting over the housing fiasco/crisis from the Bush era...now they want to build but there is a huge carpenter shortage...can't keep up with demand.

The artificial price inflation Trump will create for lumber should slow things down a bit...and cost new homeowners more.

Yah. It seems weird to me this softwood thing. I imagine that you guys are getting all sorts of rhetoric about the greedy Canadians and our unfair softwood practices. While we are receiving basically the exact opposite rhetoric.

Make sure I'm reading this right. Higher tariffs and taxes reduce growth and lower tariffs and taxes increase growth? Where have I heard this before?

Sounds overly broad and simplistic Bob...has little to do with industry specific punitive tariffs. Also, tariffs and domestic taxes are two different things, and I'm sure you're aware of them having different repercussions on different groups.

Having only growth as an economic goal, to the exclusion of what the qualities of that growth may mean for the future of the general population is short sighted.

Back