In The News...

301193_348837475198197_1647399381_n.jpg

We don't have any chickens right now because of the wild dogs. but we are planning for spring again. A buddy of mine has a fish farm in Detroit and another has milking goats we get milk from. It is my believe that cities can be far more sustainable than they currently are and pretty efficiently as well.

Growing your own food might just be the only skill that matters in the coming decades.

I can support myself fully if I needed to.......but think about the millions that couldn't.

Cheap food, produced by very few people, transported over thousands of miles is why our population as a whole, and urban population in general is as large as it is.

If the food trucks stop rolling, millions would be fooked.

theres no money in it. These pictures are actually from two summers ago and one kid ago. Last summer we scaled back to just a family garden and only herbs and flowers for market. Vegetables people want for nothing. Flowers and specialty herbs are better to make the work worth the time.

I am sure I have mentioned it before, but you know how they re mediate contaminated soil? They haul it out here, and spread it on farmers fields.

No way in heck I believe that.

.......but at one time or another we have spilled oil into every water source we have!

Interesting if true but I'm doubt you are correct.

Where were the tepees when the EPA breached that dam and turned that river orange?

You are comparing apples to oranges- the "tepees" were set up to try to prevent a bad proposal from happening in the future, the EPA thing was a spontaneous event.

People dont like looking at energy.

Interesting way to put it, I never thought of it in those words.

Would you guys be willing to convert our National Parks to wind and solar farms?

Heck no, the Parks are already fully utilized in providing restorative qualities to people.

. Much better than those filthy, stooopid rural areas.....

For better or worse these rural sources of energy that we consume so readily, provide important jobs and tax revenue for dumb country folks.

You seem obsessed with the notion that country folks are viewed as dumb. Is that a real thing? I don't think of country folks that way

Growing your own food might just be the only skill that matters in the coming decades.

I can support myself fully if I needed to.......but think about the millions that couldn't.

Cheap food, produced by very few people, transported over thousands of miles is why our population as a whole, and urban population in general is as large as it is.

If the food trucks stop rolling, millions would be fooked.

This is a values and education problem. Not a space or energy problem. Most people currently find getting your hands dirty beneath them. Tear up the lawns, grow food. Problem solved.

We should all support small, local production Kevin....we have agreed on that several times. I have no doubt that areas like Detroit with all its available land could be a great example of how to move forward.

It is a small, niche market now.

I am under no illusions that we could transition from the size and scope of agriculture as we know it today......using cheap, plentiful oil......to small scale, local production with out some terrible growing pains.

I dont believe that some cat, stuck smack dab in the middle of Los Angeles, would survive the week if the food trucks stopped.

Great posts Kevin, and I'm putting Jim's utterance re growing food in the Quote thread

People would flat starve to death Kevin. That is the growing pain.

Its not hard to see if you look around the world at the starving people.

Think about all those folks that stood in one place and went down with that Ferry in Europe. Someone was going to help them, and that help never came.

I applaud you and others in Detroit for doing what you can. But it is not as simple as telling folks to just become self sufficient.

Cmon man, you suggested, imo, that contaminated soil was spread on farmer's fields which grow food. That link says zero about chit soil being dumped on fields that grow food.

But I learned a bit from it about how chit soil is dealt with, I thought it was buried and sealed, like entombed, so I appreciate your link.

thats why we have Singing Tree Garden. We grows our own too!

Btw, great picture Kevin. Interesting that you found veggies don't make money. I love the comment about tear up the lawns and grow food though, love it. It's one of those solutions that is sitting under one's nose.

MB, I think that pollution/dilution quote is a lot about what FFZ is on about, but I would lean heavier to make some sacrifices and don't pollute in the first place. An oz of prevention better than a pound of cure....

I dont believe that some cat, stuck smack dab in the middle of Los Angeles, would survive the week if the food trucks stopped.

I think you look down your nose at city dwellers and you believe they do the same back at you. :drink:

i agree. I think of all the mexican farmers that had to leave their farms because of subsidized midwest corn an NAFTA. all of those people are now dependent on a fragile global supply system. my feeling is that we need to get people back on the land and growing food BEFORE the rug gets pulled out from under our feet. the pain may be mitigated to some degree. there is a lot to be learned from the way cuba responded when the soviet union fell apart. they avoided a full scale famine with a bit of creativity. they are now global leaders in sustainable and local farming techniques.

As long as you did not have to look at it right? It would be okay for the flyover states to be covered up with wind and solar farms......but not someplace pretty? Like Yellowstone?

Even if it meant saving the planet from a watery grave?

RE land farming......you might remember several years ago when the EPA cracked down on underground storage tanks? Those tanks had to dug up and the contaminated soil had to be remediated.

That soil WAS spread on farm ground....in fact we looked at putting in a bid for it. There is no requirement that the land used was to never, ever be used for cropping ever again.

At least at that time there was not such a requirement.

I think you look down your nose at city dwellers and you believe they do the same back at you. :drink:

Not at all. They buy my food and I work hard to produce it.

Some people think that food comes from the Supermarket, and that the shelves will always be full. WTF?

I work directly for that fellow in Central LA. But shit o dear man..........he is just going to transition over night to subsistence farming? Give me a break!

so do we all. nothing going to happen over night. we have to get ready for it. we need to keep our oil in the ground for when we need it. we cant go on wasting it all recklessly. we got to tighten up the ship and get effecient, spewing oil all over the place just cause we got it is wastefull.

better to have wealth and live like you dont than to just blow the whole wD as quickly as you can. we need to slow the extraction down, not full speed ahead.

"Cuba still imports most of its food".........

So does commie Europe, of corse.
We don't produce any ourselves, because that would mean we'd have to work and stop sucking up welfare.

Lucky for you that you have a run down, "communist" place like Cuba to compare yourself to.

No matter that it ws run by a nut case for a generation, and suffered badly from the blockade imposed on it by the US.

Back