In The News...

Back in the day I raced motorcycles. I raced heavyweight super bikes. My mechanic was a cool dude, crazy old dump truck driver that had an IQ through the roof and could shoot the balls of a knat at 1000 yards. He apprenticed at cummins as a diesel mechanic. He always schooled me on how to treat a motor, especially a diesel. Always warm her up and always cool her down. He maintained that 90% of engine wear was at startup. My wheel loader with its 27hp diesel idles all day long, Im not going to start it 50 times a day. Maybe Im just old school, makes me cringe to think of all these new cars that constantly shut off their motors....... But I've never heard about their motor blowing up.

I believe that most wear does occur on start-up, but have changed views on sitting warming up for 5 or 10 minutes. My Dad used to fire up a big diesel tractor and go right to all out work mode. Did that for 40 some years without a major breakdown or early engine failure. I let them warm up for a minute to get oil flowing and then go easy on them till they are up to temp. Same as recommennded for motor vehicles these days.

A lot of heavy equipment won't cycle hydraulics when very cold-one reason to let them warm up.

I believe that most wear does occur on start-up, but have changed views on sitting warming up for 5 or 10 minutes. My Dad used to fire up a big diesel tractor and go right to all out work mode. Did that for 40 some years without a major breakdown or early engine failure. I let them warm up for a minute to get oil flowing and then go easy on them till they are up to temp. Same as recommennded for motor vehicles these days.

A lot of heavy equipment won't cycle hydraulics when very cold-one reason to let them warm up.

Caterpillar will tell you that after a rebuild to put it to work. No babying.

A big tractor will not even open the thermostat at an idle.

When my mechanic in about 1971 rebuilt the engine on my Fiat 124 Sport Coupe I asked him about a break-in period for the engine. He said, "just drive it like you are going to drive it..don't baby it".

I drove it like I stole it...when 19 years old that's what you do.:D

20918877092_2729bb0016.jpg

Those biker gangs, if you watch the vids on youtube about them it's hard to figure out those guys. I mean why do grown men have to gang up?

Because it's easier to crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women.

05102fa9c5ea8c380748c8c8f56361c7bf89f3-wm.jpg

Yes, but being in gangs is what makes certain people your enemies, otherwise there is probably little reason to have a problem with them.

Back