In The News...

it seems like the people that have done best after experiencing historical oppression, are the ones that have tried their best to forget about it. There may well be legitimate gripes, but history can weight you down. Join the crowd moving on up if you want to.

I think tearing down the monuments would be a good start for this sort of perspective. As for economic arguments I don't hear anyone ever get heated about that so it must have been a minor factor in the war back then. Long since forgotten. People are still out brawling in the streets about race and "heritage" so I can only imagine it got peoples blood boiling back then as well. Saying it is was a non issue in that war doesn't jive with all the history that went on before and after that little bitty skirmish.

The thing about war is that the victors get to write the history. Destroying statues only further destroys the truth of history. SJW's piss me off.

America, where the rebels are patriots. Remember, it is how it started ;)

And people often mistake the civil war all about slavery and the black slaves. It started as an economic war between the money in the North and the cotton growers in the South. The war platform of the administration of the time just tied human rights to it. The right of all men created equal. But the bottom line was over taxation of the cotton industry and more. Railroad barons were involved as well. More factors to it than what you might learn in Common Core these days.
Very true Stephen and definitely not taught in public schools anymore.

My high school OCCHS Rebels. The rebel man "general lee"(same as ole miss)has always been the mascot. Even had the grey uniform version on or gym floor. That was changed to the red white and blue rebel man in 2000 I believe. The flag only caused a problem when a single person( it was never more than one complaining) made it a problem. At the time I was in school the flag only represented us occhs.
I must admit that now since the cry babies and instigators have started to speak their minds it has caused everything to go back in time it seems. When the black folks start crying it's racist....it becomes racist. Now the local DA redneck kids ride through the black neighborhoods flying the flag off their trucks etc etc. My wife and I complain more about the rednecks around here than anything. Lol. I do think the school board passed something banning the flags from vehicles and any in the school that wasn't put up by a staff member.

There is a school 45min east of us. McKenzie they are also rebels. They are a little more old school. They still fly the flag, have general Lee on their fields and courts, and their athletic uniforms are grey. To my knowledge they've never had an issue arise in their town over any of it.

From what I can see a thin skinned outsider usually causes the trouble in most cases.

Kevin, some people don't see the significance for their own lives in dwelling in the past, others do. Some want the statues, some aren't interested. Not interested in statues that keep the past in the present doesn't necessitate hostility advocating tearing them down, that's something different. I don't agree with your stretch there. The ones who want to destroy look at the statues and see something other than the offering of personal meaning of what they were intended for when constructed. It's the same with reparations, some would just as soon not be reminded. They don't criticize those that may want it, but it's not for them. The present may be rich enough with opportunities and successes. I could give you a very clear example of that.

Totally disagree. History is in the process constantly of being rewritten. What ever our schools teach vs reality is a constant through our history. Native American history, black history, Chinese history, Irish history............... Pretty much American history. Unless you really do your own research, you will never know all the details. IF the South had won, yes history would be different. But what difference does that make unless you are in an alternate universe. Your reference there is a moot point. Want to make an Emancipation Park? Build one. Cities need more trees. Don't like a statue? Bummer. Hate the parks name? Bummer. There are plenty of people that have heritage related to it and memories as well. Why should they be trod upon. How politically correct is that?
I hate the memorial they placed in our arts park for the 911. I respect that it means something to most people. I respect that it is important to history. As art, I find it an eye sore. But, I can respect it being there. I just don't picnic or listen to music while staring at it. Being art, I guess it accomplished it's goal. It made me feel something. Bleagh.
But it re minds me of lives lost and a place in our history. It gives homage to a past place and people. Sacrifice.
Guess what, a lot of folks were sacrificed in the civil war too. Some good things came of it, some horrible. Best remember both.
2. You are not being tolerant of the other side and already are anticipating WHAT they will be protesting, HOW they will be protesting, and an end result. SO I guess by that standard, Black Lives Matter should have been denied as well.......

Digest that for a minute. How tolerant is political correctness.
Oh, they used Tiki Torches instead of candles... Crap, they gonna burn us down LAWDY!!!!!

BTW, I don't subscribe or tolerate racism well. I am not a white supremacist. But ya know what, I would have been there to protest the park and statue issue like a lot of other folks did that are not either. They just want their heritage left in place. This is America, and I believe it is within their right to do so.
Peacefully though granted. But, what started out as peaceful, can often turn ugly, given the right circumstances.
The local Government set it up the climate, and the media was happy to show you how awful scary it was.
Stay tuned.

Just to be clear, Stephen, I could care less if the statue stays or goes, never seen it, probably never will. Maybe the theoretical Lincoln statue was an unrealistic example, but how about that of King George?

Personally I though the actions of the various groups and governments before and during the protests were a bit odd to say the least. The homemade riot gear? obviously people were looking for a fight and they got it, luckily the neo nazis kept their guns in the car, but "they'll be back".

The behaviour in its entirety was poor. Still, freedom of speech is the issue. Be careful who you decide has it and who does not. ALCU in court established that the permit for the right wing was valid and they were legally allowed to have their day.
King George can duck my left nut and has no significance. The what if is moot. Quit it.

And if you don't think that civil war was not more than just about anti slavery. You are entitled to your opinion. But consider, the South was relying on cheap labor for King Cotton and not industrialization. That people, is one part of that times economy.
Buy losing the election, first Republican president, the south felt unheard in politics. Yes, anti slavery was a huge threat to them. They also lost the ability, as a result of the election, to expand their interests into newly aquired territories.
South also saw it as unconstitutional.
Not saying slavery was right. Just that it was legal and part of a major economy at the time.

'Course it was.
That was why most of us had them.

Personally I hate retro PC.
Like right now we have to say "We're sorry" to the people of the Virgin Islands because "We" enslaved them and later sold the islands to the US.

I sure as shit didn't enslave anybody, I wasn't even alive.

What do I have to apologize for to them.

Yes this bullshit is in my home town. We were supposed to do a job yesterday which was 6 blocks from where the car ran into folks. I rescheduled​and did it today. Cops everywhere.

I don't give two hoots about the statue of the history. However I think these violent demonstrations will happen more and more as the rich get richer and the masses realize they are frigged. The population will become angry and this anger will spill out on whoever happens to be in the wrong place. You can't strip a population of all it's wealth and expect nothing to happen.

The behaviour in its entirety was poor. Still, freedom of speech is the issue. Be careful who you decide has it and who does not. ALCU in court established that the permit for the right wing was valid and they were legally allowed to have their day.
King George can duck my left nut and has no significance. The what if is moot. Quit it.

And if you don't think that civil war was not more than just about anti slavery. You are entitled to your opinion. But consider, the South was relying on cheap labor for King Cotton and not industrialization. That people, is one part of that times economy.
Buy losing the election, first Republican president, the south felt unheard in politics. Yes, anti slavery was a huge threat to them. They also lost the ability, as a result of the election, to expand their interests into newly aquired territories.
South also saw it as unconstitutional.
Not saying slavery was right. Just that it was legal and part of a major economy at the time.

So it wasn't about slavery, it was about the economy... Yet slavery was the economy. Calling it cheap labor would be sugar coating it when 40-60 % of the population in the confederacy was held in violent bondage.

Back