Happy Winter Solstice

Isn’t white cottonwood also a sweet cottonwood? The mountain men use to have to feed their horses cottonwood in the winter and they would only eat the sweet stuff, not the bitter stuff. At least that’s what I heard.

You shouldn't burn fenceposts.
Better to leave them stand, as they may make micro habitats for all kinds of flora and fauna!

If you are going a bit WTF over that, that is exactly how I felt this summer, when I was doing fencing in Sweden and we were told to leave the old posts in place for that reason.
I know sweden is the capitol of PC, but this was overdoing it a bit, I felt.

Pallets are at least hardwood, I think.

Firewood, BTU's per pound, is about the same for cottonwood, doug-fir, and live oak. Resinous species probably more BTU's per pound.

Lot more volume in a pound of cottonwood than live oak.

Outdoor boilers sound like more of the ticket for cottonwood, but I have only read a bit. Couple foot-long pieces of logs, no splitting.

I've never heard of one around here.

Jim, burning wood is a lock for you, keep at it I would suggest. Not that you need extra work. It is kinda a labor of love. But if you can get the wood reasonable, it'd probably work well for ya. I do know a local guy who burns coal, says it's cheap, easy, and clean.

I was wondering about the whole burning dung thing.

Cottonwood in most parts of the country is considered junk. Where I live the fire department and even the wood burner sales places tell you pine will burn your house down. My point is I’ve never had a burning fire that was cold. If cottonweed is all I had, I’d burn it too. Pine and spruce is just like every other wood. It needs to be dry. I don’t bother with it because I seem to have an abundance of oak,cherry, and an obscene amount of ash.

Yup.
Outdoor boilers are great but the wood still needs to be dry to be efficient. I’m sure where Jim lives drying would not be an issue. Long stacks along his mile long driveway would dry up in no time. Here I’ve got to leave a decent gap between rows and try to pack 20 cord into as tight of an area as possible. I just don’t have the space. That reminds me. I want to talk to my neighbor about renting the space along the top of the creek bank and old fence line around his hay field for fire wood storage. Could work out well since he has mentioned buying wood from me before to heat his greenhouse in the winter.

why would you treat the poor guy any different than a vacuum salesman other than radical extremism.

Never did get around to answering this one.

What makes you assume I don't sic my dogs at vacuum salesmen?:D

I have the feeling that there is a very short list that the dogs don?t get released on. Kinda like my home;). Of course this new puppy would run outside, bark, and then pee on himself but were working on that. I mean the wife is. I haven?t figured out why but the thing pees even when I feed him. I think he hates me. I have never even raised my voice to this critter.

Hey, I live at the end of a quarter mile dirt road.
At the beginning of that road is a sign, saying " Private road".

If that is too hard to understand, because god has clouded your mind or the Dyson Vacuum cleaner factory has. .....................not my problem!

If you are stupid enough to venture down that road at night ,try to break into my truck and get your ass chewed to bits by a large dog.

That was also not my problem.

Man, I still laugh about that, it was just SO good.:D

Give it time.
I had one like that.
any eacitement and he'd pee all over.
Stranger at the door...............zig-zagging pee trail all the way through the house.

He grew out of it and was indeed one of the 2 best dogs I've evr had.

Had he been alive when those two idiots tried their stunt, the police would have had to identfy them from DNA on the litle bits left along the drive way.

Friendly as hell to those he knew, great with kids and with an " American werewolf in London" button for those times when that was needed.

That is why I'm currently struggling with another Riesen schnauzerX Alsatian mix.

If I can pull it off, I hope to have a new one like the old one.

But, man, it is an uphill battle training those, I can tell than I'm getting old and haven't the enrgy to put into training I did back then.

Hey, I live at the end of a quarter mile dirt road.
At the beginning of that road is a sign, saying " Private road".

If that is too hard to understand, because god has clouded your mind or the Dyson Vacuum cleaner factory has. .....................not my problem!

If you are stupid enough to venture down that road at night ,try to break into my truck and get your ass chewed to bits by a large dog.

That was also not my problem.

Man, I still laugh about that, it was just SO good.:D

ah thanks for the explanation.

Back